Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HVAC actuator replacement.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I have a 07 SS and took it to the dealer for usual 6 month service. Mentioned to them that the HVAC fan speed control wheel seemed to be playing up as it stopped and started and went to full speed than back to where it should after a couple mins of driving. They did the service and reported they couldnt find any issues but explained that the battery may at fault and replace it ($285). i got one for $185 and that fixed the fan speed problem.. but since getting it back from the dealer it was making a clicking type noise under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Also it seemed that the vent controls were not working as I had nothing from the footwell vents and all air seemed to come from the the central vents and the demister vents near the screen. As well as no hot air coming through. All this was in working order before i took it to them for the service.
I took the car back up to them to have a look at and they say that nothing they have done would cause this and informed that I would need a new re-circ door as well as a new actuator up under the dash. the quoted price to fix this would be $410.
So do I have any comeback for them to repair this?. If so whats the best way to go about it?.
If I end up having to fix it has anyone had to replace these and do you have part numbers.
I found this on ebay and wonder if all the actuators for mixing under the dash are the same.
Genuine Holden VE Commodore Heater Actuator Motors Various USE | eBay

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Common Ve fault so you can't blame them really.

Replaced one on our VESS late09. That's the right one(part), I bought at local holden dealer for $16 from memory.

There's several under the dash, this sound same as ours centre vents and demist only, this is a prick of a thing to change have to pull quite a bit of dash apart and the unit is akward to get 2. Be around 2hrs work if you do it ya self bastard to get one screw out you'll need a 90 degree rachet screw driver

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Common Ve fault so you can't blame them really.

Replaced one on our VESS late09. That's the right one(part), I bought at local holden dealer for $16 from memory.

There's several under the dash, this sound same as ours centre vents and demist only, this is a prick of a thing to change have to pull quite a bit of dash apart and the unit is akward to get 2. Be around 2hrs work if you do it ya self bastard to get one screw out you'll need a 90 degree rachet screw driver

Yeah figure theres not much I can do re getting them to replace it. The parts they say need replacing are "Internal fault in Recirculation door and HVAC mode actuator" so it seems I need to replace the recirc door (which he showed me a picture of where the hinge snaps off) and the actuator thats faulty. I will try and make sure which actuator is faulty before I get the replacement and start tearing everthing apart. But from the sound it makes and the location it sounds like the bastard one up high on the drivers side. thanks for the tip in getting the right screwy for it.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Well i just changed the faulty actuator . It took about an hour total and has fixed the problem. The actuator cost $29 and was a pretty straight forward job once you remove some dash panels. Considering Holden wanted $410 to do the job I think you would be mad to not change it yourself if you have the same problem.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hey, good to hear. Can you provide a bit more detail on the job? Were there any tricky bits? What exactly had to be removed? I think these answers would help a lot of people, given how common this issue is. Thanks mate.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Hey, good to hear. Can you provide a bit more detail on the job? Were there any tricky bits? What exactly had to be removed? I think these answers would help a lot of people, given how common this issue is. Thanks mate.
Yeah i actually took a few photos along the way. I also disconnected my battery for fear of wrecking something.
. Ve underdash.jpgHeater duct.jpgActuator in position.jpgActuators.jpgActuators together for alignment.jpg
The installation is just in reverse. Just make sure to connect the 2 actuator arms together.

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
I did mine on the other side of dash, one screw is a pain, need a little stumpy or right angle driver, $29 for actuator is a bit hexy, bought mine direct from holdens for $16 each

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I was quite surprised by the ease it is to change that one on the drivers side. I was prepared for major mission tearing heaps apart but once you get those couple of trims off its pretty straight forward. The top screw is a little tricky (like you were saying on the other side) and its a a awkward position to lay in but easy enough for any owner to do.
I was more surprised that Holden want to rort to the tune of $410. $100 fair enough, $150 pricey...$410 robbery.

Deeks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 2009 My 10
hi guys,

Thanks for the information, this is so helpful. I have a sv6 MY10 2009 model that I will be doing this on my ute very soon.