Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring up additional front driving lights VE

Frank7214

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
1. Mount additional high beam driving lights such as on a nudge bar, bull bar, front number plate bracket or as I did
2. Remove fuse box lid cover
3. Drill a 5/16 hole into front of fuse box for mounting of a 5 pin relay which I had lying about (photo attached) or you can use a 4 pin relay
4. Cut fuse holder wire in half
5. Crimp a blue 5/16 eyelet to fuse holder on one end
6. Crimp a blue female spade to fuse holder on other end
7. Remove 13mm nut from the positive terminal running to fuse box
8. Mount fuse holder with 5/16 eyelet to terminal and tighten 13mm nut
9. Push spade fitting of fuse holder onto pin 87 of relay
10. Crimp a blue spade fitting onto positive side of driving light wiring
11. Crimp a blue 5/16 eyelet to negative side of driving light wiring
12. Push spade fitting of driving lights onto pin 30 of relay
13. Remove front 13mm nut holding fuse box
14. Fit the 5/16 eyelet of the driving lights over fuse holder bolt
15. Mount a on/off switch inside cabin like in glovebox
Crimp blue female spades on both ends of 3mm wire and run from pin 85 to switch in cabin
Crimp a blue female spade on another piece of wire and mount to other side of switch
16. Crimp a blue 5/16 eyelet to other end from switch and put over fuse holder bolt, then fit 13mm nut and tighten (Photo attached)
17. Remove electrical tape to wiring at rear of headlight.
Crimp a blue female spade to a piece of 3mm wire and fit to pin 86
On the other end, solder or join green with black stripe wire
18. That’s it, all wired. Fit relay to fuse box with a 5/16 bolt and nut.
19. Fit fuse box lid. I had to cut the slots in the bumper bar to accomodate the LED bar light.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 2,398
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 2,163
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 2,863
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 2,455
Last edited:

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
a few questions if I may...
1) what is your definition of 'additional front driving lights' ie how do these lights turn on - is the
green with black stripe wire
in Step 17 the power wire for the park lights, headlights or high beams on your Omega? (your Ride only says VE Commodore, so I assume you have an Omega and don't have fog lights?)
2) if it does connect to one of these lights mentioned above, do you know the legalities - i'm being serious and not taking the p!ss, ie it would be a decent write up if this was mentioned and also point 1
3) why? once again, back to point 1 - is this for fog lights and/or additional high beam driving lights (example: you live in a rural area with no street lights)

There are lots of Omega owners on JC that would appreciate a decent write up like this to wiring up fog lights.
I've read lots of threads where people think they're bought all the right wiring looms and the headlight switch with built-in fog light switch but have never read anyone getting the installation done to look an OEM factory setup.
The only member I know who has successfully had Holden OEM fog lights installed is UFO on his International Sportwagon but i'm 99% sure Holden did this for him as part of the deal when buy his car new.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You haven't mentioned installation of the switch enabling deactivation of additional light(s) when using high beam. Such switch is required by Law.

Frank7214

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I own a 2008 Omega.
In step 17 the green with black stripe is the high beam wire.
The lights are triggered from the high beam wire. You should by law mount an additional on/off switch inside the cabin, but I chose not to.
The wiring is for additional high beam driving lights
The VE is positive switched, which confuses people when wiring up lights.
When I get time, I will do a more comprehensive write up.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
I like the effort you have gone to, and the thought involved in adding driving lights without the use of a bar or roof bar.
Alas, the placement of that light will do nothing but get you booked or punched in the face. It serves no purpose and will be useful no more than 40 meters out front of your car and the chance of it pointing slightly up is high, hence the the aggravation you may cause.

Just saying.
Like I said, big effort.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
The legal way of a switch to then make them come on with high beam is much more practical as you don't want them coming on if there is another car in miles.