Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Timing Chain P0016 P0018

Abzzy87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Was a few things away from getting my RWC list completed when the engine light came on today..

Took it in too get scanned came back with codes P0016 P0018 crankshaft camshaft not plausible bank 1 and bank 2

YES GOT THE BAD NEWS.. Or did i? Called holden told me to come in on friday morning to get a software update apparently will only delay the codes and will eventually have to replace the chain only problem i have is..

Unlike everyone else's, I've only done 37,893ks on my 2006 omega hahahahaha no one EVER believes me until i show them. I work 2minute drive from my house so I've just walked the 10-12min there everyday for the last 7 years And my car has never been driven to the city (from dandenong - city). So i just refused to believe it could be my chain.. Stretched at less than 40k IDK. Even though scan gave the code P0018 P0016 i just can't seem to want too believe it.

Does this seem strange to anyone else or is it just the fact now the car is 7 years old??

Lyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF Storm
I know that the timing chains on VEs used to have a problem with being stretched pretty easy.

"If your check engine light (CEL) is illuminated and error codes P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019 recorded, typically similar to ‘Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor 1′, it is highly likely the centre timing chain has stretched allowing both sets of camshafts to move to a point outside their programmed parameters. This we believe is a problem on Engines Built Prior to Engine Number H071380576."

Hope it helps a bit.

Abzzy87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hey thanks for your info just took it into Holden and they gave it a software update and VIM deletion and it has worked wonders car is smooth and back to normal and seems to have worked a treat they told me that they couldn't believe it would be the chain because of the K's its done so they said this should work and it did. they said if it has any problems in future then to come back and if its really the chain then they would give me a 30% discount because of the low K's even though its well out of the warranty so i guess its worked out well for me.

Cheers for the info though.=)

Lyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF Storm
That's good to hear.

I didn't think it would be the chain. I've done over 180km on my car and never had a problem. But you never know with cars.

Fingers crossed it stays all good for you. :)

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
thats good news . changing out a timing chain would have been a fair amount of work involved . did they quote you a price just incase it had to be done ? i heard its quite pricey .

Abzzy87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Yeah i hopes so, been running great so far FINGERS CROSSED but in the end if the chains gotta be done then its gotta be done no 2 ways about it. =)

Abzzy87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
yeah man its $2500 - $3000 at Holden.. i went to another mechanic before Holden and he gave me a whole bunch on rubbish about changing the sensors and quoted me $700 for the job but couldn't guarantee me it would fix the problem and then said if its the chain it would be $4500 for everything and it would be better to buy a new engine from him.. lol
ain't no way i was getting sucked in. if this holds for at least 6-12 months than il be happy coz it'll give me enough time to save for the chain. its such a bitch.