Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does the Timing Chain problem only affect certain models?

TheDmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just had a quick question - I've heard the alloytec engine can be prone to the infamous timing chain issue, but does it only affect cars manufactured within a certain time frame? Or can it affect potentially every alloyec Commodore. The reason I ask is a family is considering getting a VE Commodore. We've had VS, and still do have VT and VX Commodores in the family and they've been great hence why a Commodore is and always has been the first choice for an upgrade, but I thought it might be wise to find out which Commodores are prone to the issue and steer clear of them if at all possible.

Thanks

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I've copied below paragraph from another thread, in theory I would think 06 and 07 VE's would be high risk for timing chain issues, but I guess many would have had new chains by now (whether the replacement chains last any longer than the originals I don't know). I was thinking the SIDI VE's don't have the issue, but there are a number of threads on here suggesting the SIDI's are not immune from the problem either.

I know holden has brought out software upgrades for 07/08/10/11 ve v6 for error codes on timing chains so they dont need chain until this software upgrade has been installed, only 09 ve v6 need timing chains. for dtc p0008 set.
I would recommend paying the hours labour charge for new software upgrade first than spending many thousand of dollars repair on chains.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
worst thing is people know the chains are an issue and the software upgrade is a short term fix so there would be a lot on the market with the update but old chains just waiting to go

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
worst thing is people know the chains are an issue and the software upgrade is a short term fix so there would be a lot on the market with the update but old chains just waiting to go

To be honest given what I read on this site over just the last week or so, I reckon if I had a V6 throwing the codes and the dealer suggested apply software update I would do that and seriously consider doing the same. Seriously who wants to spend up around $3000 on timing chains. I'm sure we all can think of a better way to spend it. Even timing belts on 4 cyl cars annoy me. I also have a Subaru Forester that is due for timing belt - quotes are around $1250 for this although that does include water pump as well as the seals etc. that come as part of the kit. At least with the Subaru I was aware of this when I bought it, and factored it in with the purchase decision (still annoys me though). A few years back I purchased a Lancer that was overdue for timing belt, that I had done for $500 but that was not including water pump change, again at least I was aware of it before I got it. In the case of VE's timing chains it's not a scheduled service item so probably no one is going to factor that amount of money in purchase decision. I did have a SIDI SV6 until about a month ago no problem with it (109,000 km), and at that time I hadn't heard of the SIDI's being a problem with timing chains.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Just had a quick question - I've heard the alloytec engine can be prone to the infamous timing chain issue, but does it only affect cars manufactured within a certain time frame? Or can it affect potentially every alloyec Commodore. The reason I ask is a family is considering getting a VE Commodore. We've had VS, and still do have VT and VX Commodores in the family and they've been great hence why a Commodore is and always has been the first choice for an upgrade, but I thought it might be wise to find out which Commodores are prone to the issue and steer clear of them if at all possible.

Thanks

Hey man check this- double click image

Attachments

• Scan0002 (2).jpg
    Scan0002 (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 12,162

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Note that the timing chain problem also applied to early build V6 Captivas. (As if that car didn't already have enough problems)!

I purchased a September 2006 build Captiva in 2012 before becoming aware of the timing chain problems. The car had 135k on it.

I traded it in June 2015 with nearly 206k. The engine ran sweetly and quietly for the entire time we had the car and the Holden dealer where we traded it was surprised at how well it ran.

I don't know if the chains had been replaced prior to us buying the car but the handbook servicing record gave no indication it had.

I guess it was very much luck of the draw.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
My SV6 bought up the Check Engine light for Chains, but the car ran perfect for 6-8 months before I decided to get chains done lol I probably could be driving it to this day and it still drive right.

imo after reading these forums and others, The timing chain can happen with any VZ / VE V6 even the SIDI, depending on how well that car is / was looked after. Although If i had a SIDI Id definately check other things that may pull the code first.

Last edited:

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
I found (see below) on the internet.

Holden LY7 Alloytec V6 engine (2004-09)

LY7 V6 engine: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the LE0, LY7 and LW2 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
  • the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
  • the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear.

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07