Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scanning tool for error codes

stacey kronk

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
does anyone know where I can buy a scanning tool that works for a ve commodore the cheap ones on ebay say GM but when you ask them they say it does not suit a holden. Unless you get one that costs hundreds of dollars. having the usual check engine problem that is all over the forums. Any help will be greatly appreciated. stace

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
A cheap ELM327 Wifi dongle + DashCommand will do the job for basic debugging. You might have to buy extra GM PIDs (buy the Pontiac G8 ones) if you want to log more stuff, but error codes shouldn't be an issue with the base app.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
If I was to get another one, i would get the one above.

I bought a cheap ELM327 bluetooth and with Dash Command and Pontiac G8 Extras, and it read some codes, like P0008 and a few others. Even let me clear the code to take off the engine light :)

But then i took it into the shop cause the engine light kept popping up, and they scanned it with a snap-on tool and it found codes that the tool didnt find lol
I hear the wifi/cable ones are better then the bluetooth, i dont know if thats because of connection issues, because i hardly have any, unless the phone screen auto turns off

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
If I was to get another one, i would get the one above.

I bought a cheap ELM327 bluetooth and with Dash Command and Pontiac G8 Extras, and it read some codes, like P0008 and a few others. Even let me clear the code to take off the engine light :)

But then i took it into the shop cause the engine light kept popping up, and they scanned it with a snap-on tool and it found codes that the tool didnt find lol
I hear the wifi/cable ones are better then the bluetooth, i dont know if thats because of connection issues, because i hardly have any, unless the phone screen auto turns off

That sounds about right.
To get a little geeky on the topic, it is because Dash Command uses "basic" diagnostic commands to the car. These "commands" are mandatory for all vehicles to have. BUT, only very basic, mandatory fault codes will be displayed.

The "Holden specific" fault codes require a more technical approach to read out, and this is why the shops snap-on tool was able to read them. Its also why my software SOE can read all the Holden specific stuff too since it also uses these technical routines!

Hope that kinda clears that up!

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Got my Actron from Supercheap under 200 simple plug in and easy to use

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
That sounds about right.
To get a little geeky on the topic, it is because Dash Command uses "basic" diagnostic commands to the car. These "commands" are mandatory for all vehicles to have. BUT, only very basic, mandatory fault codes will be displayed.

The "Holden specific" fault codes require a more technical approach to read out, and this is why the shops snap-on tool was able to read them. Its also why my software SOE can read all the Holden specific stuff too since it also uses these technical routines!

Hope that kinda clears that up!

Sounds right. does your software work with the bluetooth version for a ELM?
Also Which software works best? is the Advanced one needed for holdens?
Also is it specific for holdens? or can do other obd2 cars as well? jappas?

lowrider636

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline Series 2
Got my Actron from Supercheap under 200 simple plug in and easy to use

Ive got one of them too . Mine always shows the maf sensor error code , something to do with my maffless tune haha