Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain?

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Everyone just rolled their eyes didn't they? Me too when it happened.

07 VE Berlina.

I am sure I had the 0008 code a while ago when check engine light first came on. Car ran ok but did have a miss at idle. Played on. But a couple of times the car has run like crap and stalls. Mrs drives it but took her word for it. Then the other day it shat again and now get this:

Capture_2_zpso44u4cwh.png

I can clear the codes but next second they come back. Won't idle and runs like crap.

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Hey mate, got P0008 around 5-6 month back, car still drives no bad idle. Just lack of power. Your case can be oxygen sensor? Mine never stalled or gave bad idle, drove around 10k with it and still going

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Should be discussing this in the timing chain sticky thread

Had wondered that. Had read through it too. Bit many forums use stickies as the thread that contains only the links to all the good threads that have good suitable info and not technically discussion.

I was hoping that many would confirm chain stretch. Would tell me I should or shouldn't do the oil pump at the same time. Cam gears too. If I should use alignment tools. Mace were a tad vague.

Then I was thinking to either take stupid amount of pics or even video of everything. I'm in media. And then post it all up for everyone else. I have searched this problem heaps and hadn't found any quality info other than people saying the chains are stretched. Had thought a tutorial with pics would help the next guy who searches.

Thanks for you help and concern.

Mods move or delete.

Last edited:

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
if you are doing the chain i would recommend changing the water pump too if possible? and check the thermostat if needed changing, i bet you dont want to do over again specially the water pump

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
I can now confirm my worst fears. I just didn't have the time to even look at the timing chains so dumped it on a local mechanic. One had stretched so far that the cam went out far enough and one bank's pistons had a meeting with all the exhaust valves. So had the timing chains done and a fresh pair of heads on top. Ouch.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Is it a case of the timing chain stretches or tensioner problem? Also there was a thread recently that suggested the timing chain issue may be related to oil pump with later year models at least) . In the case of an 06, 07 or early 08, it is a known issue of course. So with the pistons meeting the valves, you didn't have any issue with the pistons themselves, its just the valves that get bent and piston damage isn't a real problem? As you said ...Ouch.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
In my case one chain had stretched real bad and the others a little. Have hear plenty of theories too as to why. Been told to run very light oil as the tensioners need it light to work best. Could be a cause I guess. Many on forums say change the oil pump while at it. Mine was ok. No oil pump should fail or even be dodgy at circa 120k anyway. Nor should the timing chains either. But they were underspec from factory anyway.

When the guy said they did a compression test and found one dead and said it's common for the piston to hit a valve, the first thing I asked was just valve bent or hole in piston. He said never had a hole in one yet and done a few now.