Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM power output

StevieM

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden Commodore VE SS
New to the sight guys and just wondering, the standard AFM model SS puts out 260kw and 517nm of torque while the non AFM puts out 270kw and 530nm of torque, does disabling the AFM give you the non AFM performance figures? Or do they remain the same?
Cheers

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
New to the sight guys and just wondering, the standard AFM model SS puts out 260kw and 517nm of torque while the non AFM puts out 270kw and 530nm of torque, does disabling the AFM give you the non AFM performance figures? Or do they remain the same?
Cheers

They would remain the same as max performance would definitely not have been achieved on 4 cylinders :)
But I think swapping your AFM mufflers to non AFM ones would restore the few kws/nms lost.

Xageer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 Series II SV6 Manual
But I think swapping your AFM mufflers to non AFM ones would restore the few kws/nms lost.

still needs a tune as well as swapping the mufflers I believe

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
This is my understanding of the situation:
AFM motors have the rev limiters set lower due to the mechanics of the AFM system not being able to handle the higher revs. Disabling AFM electronics won't restore the power; the AFM mechanism needs to be removed and the rev limiter set higher to get the same output as a non AFM.
- removing the AFM completely is not a simple job either.

StevieM

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden Commodore VE SS
Thanks guys. I've recently had a CAI fitted and had the car tuned along with having AFM turned off. Its running great and clearly putting out more power, was trying to guage how much extra.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
This is my understanding of the situation:
AFM motors have the rev limiters set lower due to the mechanics of the AFM system not being able to handle the higher revs. Disabling AFM electronics won't restore the power; the AFM mechanism needs to be removed and the rev limiter set higher to get the same output as a non AFM.
- removing the AFM completely is not a simple job either.

Sorry try_again but that makes no sense, the power and torque figures aren't measured at the rev limit, peak figures are typically well below maximum revs.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
still needs a tune as well as swapping the mufflers I believe

Such a minor change shouldn't require a tune, you'd still notice a small increase in performance without a tune.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
The AFM engine is different to the Non AFM engine. My understanding was that the L76 (260kw) has the AFM, the L98 (270kw) doesn't, I thought the L98 had different cam timings like the non AFM L77 version, but the links at the bottom state that the L98 used a different exhaust for higher flow, and this was the reason for increase of 10kw. They used the L77 engine in all models from some point in 2010 onwards, The L77 has the option of AFM or non AFM, the difference being camshaft profile.

Check what engine you have...

Here is some reading if you wish:

L76 and L77

L98

Either way, difference is small and not really noticeable

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Its the exhaust.
L98 and L76 share same AFM cam spec on VVT core. L77 same with slightly more lift, thing is all L77 have AFM LOMA and deac lifters, manual install does not have AFM active in the tune by default.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Its the exhaust.
L98 and L76 share same AFM cam spec on VVT core. L77 same with slightly more lift, thing is all L77 have AFM LOMA and deac lifters, manual install does not have AFM active in the tune by default.

Hes correct, mufflers on afm cars are really restrictive to stop 4cyl drone/noises

We put the non afm muffler on our ss and gave it a nice note