Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reversing Camera

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
With the new LCD screens in the Calais, Calais V and SSV, can you hook up a reversing camera to them rather than having to fit a seperate screen somewhere in the car? It's not something I would ever have considered buying but if it can send the video through to the factory screen it would be nice to have. I would want it to switch to the reverse camera automatically when I selected reverse too...

Anyone know of or has seen anything like this?

Also... I have a portable DVD player and was wondering I could somehow wire it into the factory system... Like have a cable setup into the back of the unit with RCA inputs coming out around the console somewhere so I can plug it in and out etc.

Cheers!

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
I'm hanging out for this!

The VE uses a computer 'handshake' to see if a navigation unit is installed, only then will it allow the screen to operate permenantly. Also there is an input via the wiring but it will switch off at 8kmph.

There are reverse camera installers who are working on this but to my knowledge have not yet cracked it.
DVD should work as the Calais SSV already had a DVD that can play on the front screen......but it does switch off at 8kmph.

I wonder if anyone has been clever enough to sus this out yet??

oh no...

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE 3.6 Calais
Me too!

Anyone got any further with this?
I'd like to fit a reversing camera and use the inbuilt display in my VE Calais, rear vision out of these cars sucks big time. :supersad:

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You can get the Aux in cable for the Calais headunit and get the VIM (Vehicle in motion) mod to stop it from turning off the screen after 8kph. You can even get the auto switch to Aux when you put it into reverse.

Check out JHP Vehicle Enhancement (Pontiac G8 section) or No Limit Electronics, they both offer these kinda setups for the VE.

I would ask Phreddy first, hopefully he can offer this as well.

oh no...

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE 3.6 Calais
You can get the Aux in cable for the Calais headunit and get the VIM (Vehicle in motion) mod to stop it from turning off the screen after 8kph. You can even get the auto switch to Aux when you put it into reverse.

Check out JHP Vehicle Enhancement (Pontiac G8 section) or No Limit Electronics, they both offer these kinda setups for the VE.

I would ask Phreddy first, hopefully he can offer this as well.

I looked on those two web sites but didn't see anything to suit what I want. Sent both of them an e-mail asking though.
Is there anyone in Canberra that offers anything similar? Not interested in VIM - just reversing camera using standard VE Calais LCD screen, with option to switch between that and standard reversing sensor display/sound if possible.
There is a vid on YouTube showing that it can be done but I haven't seen 'how to' etc anywhere or where you can go to get it done.

Thanks,
Dave.

Last edited:

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I looked on those two web sites but didn't see anything to suit what I want. Sent both of them an e-mail asking though.
Is there anyone in Canberra that offers anything similar? Not interested in VIM - just reversing camera using standard VE Calais LCD screen, with option to switch between that and standard reversing sensor display/sound if possible.
There is a vid on YouTube showing that it can be done but I haven't seen 'how to' etc anywhere or where you can go to get it done.

Thanks,
Dave.

JHP's site isn't very friendly to finding a specific item, I think NoLimits you need to call and here is the link from JHP for the reverse kit: G8 Video In Motion the second item listed which is the reversing module. They provide instructions for it but its not posted anywhere.

The problem with reversing though is that you will still need the VIM module because it still turns off the screen, unless you go really slow.

Unfortunatelly I don't know of anyone in Canberra either, sorry.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
? Not interested in VIM - just reversing camera using standard VE Calais LCD screen, .

Thanks,
Dave.

Are you sure your not intesested in VIM

Do you realise that the screen turns off above 3kmh

Most people reverse faster than that. I had VIM done so the screen stays on the whole time I am reversing.

I had no limit do the VIM and send me a reverse camera modul. I fitted it up myself.

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
Anyone got any further with this?
I'd like to fit a reversing camera and use the inbuilt display in my VE Calais, rear vision out of these cars sucks big time. :supersad:

Yep, have had mine going for some time and its fantastic!
I did get the VIM(allowing video to remain on) from No Limits in Melbourne and they mailed to up to me, unfortunately Adrian is no longer with them but they should still be able to help. They can also supply the AV cable which allows you to input not just the reverse camera (which i picked up on Ebay for $30 ), but also any video and audio!, such as ipod , iphone or DVD. Yeah, yeah, I can already hear the hisses from the safety nazi's but use your common sense.

I hooked up a lead from my reverse lights to trigger a small circuit for 10 seconds when I put the car in reverse that powers up the camera, after 10 secs it powers off. I found it really handy considering the size of the rear spoiler, but i do need to press the aux button to enable the video. You can have it on for as long as you have the car in reverse without needing a circuit but I found that I did pop it out of reverse at times and I wanted it on a bit longer.

VIM was $175 + deposit and cable was about $90
I'll try and get some pics or video soon if anyone wants a look.

Attachments

• SSV1.jpg
    SSV1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • SSV2.jpg
    SSV2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 996
  • SSV3.jpg
    SSV3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,019
  • SSV4.jpg
    SSV4.jpg