Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine died at 100kmh then check engine light up ?

calaismity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS
2007 VE calais with 45000km, just bought it 2 weeks ago. Cruising at 100kmh the engine just stopped and the speedo & tacho indications went to zero and the display went blank. Radio stayed on and blinkers, lights etc worked. I pulled over, nothing obvious in the engine bay and engine not overheated. Started it again ok, but the check engine warning came up. Drove off, engine seemed to be really labouring (could have been my imagination), so stopped again. Drove off again, check engine warning still up. Stopped for 5 minutes, then everything back to normal, no warnings up and driving fine.
I've read about the battery charging problems, and the battery symbol sometimes does stay up for a second or so after starting. Could the battery problem make your engine stall at 100kmh ? Any thoughts appreciated.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
I still have the battery problem in mine, but it's never done what yours did. Usually mine just causes the ABS etc to fail and has a warning about it which stays on the screen, also stops my mirrors from auto dipping and resets the CD's in my stereo.

Hopefully if you get it to them soon they will see some sort of errors in the log to indicate why this happened.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i don't have a ve but if your battery wasn't charging the ecu would start to shut down all non essential items and unfortunately abs is one of them. this happened in my vs calais.

and yes when the battery runs out it doesn't matter what speed your doing cos it will cause the fuel pump to cut out. and with the ve's having electronic throttle control it makes it worse .

JacksonVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2
If it was the battery or alternator, it still would'nt be running. If the light Engine light comes on again, take it to Holden to have the fault code read
Could be ECU

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My VS died at 100k's one day just like yours did. It was the ignition module.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
the ve's have individual coils for each of the plugs, so i doubt its that

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's jsut what the VN-VS's do when a crank sensor fails. Sound like the alloytech's have a similar setup. You will see VN-VS's stoped all over the roads every Summer, I've started seeing them allready over the last couple of days

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
i have an ecotec and mine has been cutting out then coming straight back on wihtout starting again it happens when motor is under load or when ur giving it **** i have had the abs light come on but only once im no sure if i have big enuf battery coz mine wasnt charging because the alternator cable burnt out so changed battery , battery is out of a hz holden and these had no electronics maybe my battery is to small but happened a few times before this happened??

DJ-Bolan

DJ stands for Dale Joshua
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SV6 VE buying soon!
vs-6 reply

if EPS fail and ABS fail also, check your breaking sensors. i was in my friends mums ford focus hatch back ghia and i was doing too many hand break turns and burn outs. ended up overheating all the sensors. just went home. wet the breaks with a hose. waited 10 minutes anxiously hoping they will work again. and they did.

don't know if this helps with your post vs-6. could have disks touching the calipers and heating them, or breaking too hard? just a suggestion.

-D

jace75

Reaction score
Members Ride
JULY 08 VE SSV 60th Anniv.
you sound like a real smart guy doing hand brakies and burnouts in your mates mum's car......

now that you have stuffed the rotors i sm sure that she will appreciate your help in diagnosing and fixing the problems you have caused.