Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto gear change...

BustedNut

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Sedan
G'Day Fella's,

Picked up the new car last Saturday, it's a 60th VE.. quite nice to drive and lots of great features, overall I'm very happy with it thus far.. However.. What's the go with the gear change!!

The engine seems a little 'weak' i.e. it appears to struggle a little when accelerating, and the box seems to really hesitate when changing up, like a lurch (almost flaring).. Is this typical of the VE??

I don't recall this occurring when driving the demo, but the demo had many more clicks on the clock.. Is this something I should get checked out or is the norm??

Cheers,

BustedNut.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Ask for the dealer to check it out, but they will tell you it's normal. Mine has the symptoms you mention (except engine weakness - strangely it doesn't have that).

The VE auto is famous for being sluggish and confused. Apparently vol800 said holden are considering recalling the transmission if enough people complain. Mine has spent a week with holden design engineers (so they claim) and their conclusion is that it's operating perfectly normally.

Just a crap transmission, it seems.

BustedNut

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Sedan
Hey Tommo,

Ask for the dealer to check it out, but they will tell you it's normal. Mine has the symptoms you mention

Yeah, I wanted to get some idea if it was indeed 'normal' prior to hitting up the dealer, who, as you say would probably do nothing more than assure me that all was exactly as it should be..

Always good to go armed with info.. Cheers for the response.

BustedNut

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the only thing that i notice that's rather annoying with the 4sp is when you back off it slips in neutral to roll and save fuel, but when you go to accelerate again and it goes back into gear it lurches kindof, is that what your getting?

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
Yep, mine flares 2nd to 3rd and lags 3rd back to second but NOT all the time.
Holden is picking up my car in a week or so but after seeing Tommo's post (re his getting back from engineers status quo) I'm all of a sudden less confident of a good outcome...
Like Tommo NO lack of engine performance though!

BustedNut

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Sedan
Hey Andyman,

the only thing that i notice that's rather annoying with the 4sp is when you back off it slips in neutral to roll and save fuel, but when you go to accelerate again and it goes back into gear it lurches kindof, is that what your getting?

Yes.. I have up to now driven a couple of old Mercedes and a '67 Triumph Spitfire daily for many years.. cycle through them to give them a good run.. and on the odd occasion the wife's Fairmont.. So it may well be more my driving 'style' rather the box itself.. Your description of slipping into neutral (to save fuel) is probably exactly it.. I back off the old Merc's after a shift to keep the acceleration under control, and I find myself doing the same in the VE, which I think that is where my problem lies.. Time to retrain the right foot.. :D

Cheers,

BustedNut