Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Headlight Upgrade

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
VE II Omega Ute; Fairmont Ghia
I've just bought a VE International, just waiting for LPG to be fitted as they couldn't get me a factory one.
I note that the International has halogen headlights.
There are the projector headlights on some models, and there are Xenon headlights on the top of the range models.

Question
The projector headlights look good, but are they any better than the standard halogen headlights as regards spread and penetration?
Second Question
Are the Xenon much better than the normal projector headlights for spread and penetration?
Turd Question
Are Xenon only on low beam, or on both low and high beam?

I might get the dealer to upgrade the lights for me, but only if there are significant improvements in performance as distinct from cosmetics.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
i believe all ve's fitted with projector lights have xenon globes? can't comment on the performance.

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
I had a look at the Holden website and the Xenon lights are in the Caprice only - I think they would be pretty pricey units, and would probably look a little silly in an Omega!

veinternational

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE International Dual Fuel
I've just bought a VE International, just waiting for LPG to be fitted as they couldn't get me a factory one.
I note that the International has halogen headlights.
There are the projector headlights on some models, and there are Xenon headlights on the top of the range models.

Question
The projector headlights look good, but are they any better than the standard halogen headlights as regards spread and penetration?
Second Question
Are the Xenon much better than the normal projector headlights for spread and penetration?
Turd Question
Are Xenon only on low beam, or on both low and high beam?

I might get the dealer to upgrade the lights for me, but only if there are significant improvements in performance as distinct from cosmetics.

Projector, halogen or xenon I wouldn't have a clue but on my International the headlights IMO are very good and on high beam the spread and throw seems quiet good. I was on the F3 Freeway just last night and had some time to use the high beam in suitable conditions and for me it was good.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Statesman/Caprice headlights won't fit.

Buy a HID kit from Gadget Master.

agreed, but buy a Bi-Xenon kit if you're just replacing the globes.. otherwise they won't fit ect ect.. you'll see when you hit the manufacturers site..

Halogen lamps> Filament style globe, with halogen gas. Produces orange/yellow light, std on pretty much all low spec vehicles.

Xenon lamps> Filament style globe with some xenon added for different coulour and temp (Kelvin). Just a different colour really. (Some manufacturers also put dodgy blue filters on the globe for "fully sick blue headlamps bro" and they are CRAP)

Xenon Gas Discharge (HID - High Intensity Discharge) > These are the ultimate in light. A mostly Xenon gas filled tube, with a prong at either end. High voltage is passed and it glows like the sun. They have an auxillary ballast that contains the igniters and controlls for the voltage required to produce light. These draw a LOT less power once lit then your filament style globes, and they last a whole lot longer as the tube is not susceptible to vibration and shock, and they also run cooler thus more efficient and won't melt your surround.. And when they mix up different quantities of noble gases, they produce different colours (From yellow ish, to ice white, to blues and even to purple) without having crap-arse filters on them. Oh, and bright as bugger.. did i mention that??

The lower model commo's come with halogen globes, and a reflector style headlamp. SSV and Calais up score the Projector lamps, which offer a more focused light, hence brighter on the ground without blinding other drivers, and a wider more even spread of available light... These projector housings generally also come std with halogen globes, but some upper spec also come with Xenon filament or Xenon Gas Dischard (HID)
Regardless of style and type, you could adapt anything you want into your car.

My advice> Organise a set of projector lamps from SSV or up, and then check a few manufacturers and organize a Xenon HID for em, you'll love the result...

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
Thank you all for your comments.

I have a car (I won't say it's a Ford) that has projector headlights and I upgraded to HIDs about 18 months ago.

I also have another car (it's also a FFF...) where I have upgraded the lights to Philips blue thingos, the ones that are legal.

I was initially impressed with the HIDs, they are on a 1992 V8 Fairlane that I use for long trips, but out on the open road at night they are useless, and in the wet, bloody awful. Sure it's great that they reflect back all the signs and reflectors but on a wet road, at night, with oncoming traffic they are hopeless.

The Philips bulbs are great, but I have also struck a problem with them - there's too much bright light reflecting back off the road just in front of the car and it makes it difficult to see further than the spread of light as the pupils in your eyes close down (I guess).

Years ago I always had good quality driving lights as I did a lot of country driving. One of the downsides of good driving lights is that when you dip them it's suddenly very dark!

So I am undecided what to do with the new VE which will be taking over long distance touring duties from the Fairlane.

I think I'll see how much the Holden will charge me for projector headlights and I hope they will give me a credit for the VE's halogens which are still brand new. Either way I think I will stick with halogens whether standard lights or projector lights.

Sometimes brightest is not always bestest, so to speak.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
i reckon the standard headlights on the VE's are way better than the Falcon BA-BF & FG XT as the light has a better spread and is more brighter. i'm interested to see how effective HID bulbs do in the standard Omega headlights. is it worth doing?

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
i reckon the standard headlights on the VE's are way better than the Falcon BA-BF & FG XT as the light has a better spread and is more brighter. i'm interested to see how effective HID bulbs do in the standard Omega headlights. is it worth doing?

it all depends.. most kits are cheap and nasty using low grade equipment (especially igniters, globes and regulators) so be carefull there. the high quality kits are WAAAY over priced, and to top it all of, i'm not aware of any bi-kits (H4 or similar replacment Hi-Lo beam) that are ADR compliant or legal.

And lastly, be aware that the wonderful super clear light they produce looks great in a dark area, but it is ridiculously useless in wet conditions, although signs and reflectors do practically glow... personal choice really.

I believe Xenon Oz sell some high grade kits (at a cost mind you) and are VERY willing to demonstrate their products to you. (By the way, I don't work for them, it's just sound advice)

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
I bought a set of VE projector headlights off ebay.

Do I have to remove the front bar to get at the headlight?

Or maybe just remove grille and easy the front bar out a bit?

I think if I have to remove the front bar I'd be in trouble, I could easily remove it, but putting it back correctly - that'd be a different story!