Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust for AFM SS Commodore

Yissy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Just put a 3" exhaust on the ss commodore yesterday. I am afraid that I will have to take it back to the shop as the car vibrates bad when driving on the highway. Any suggestions as I really do not want to waste my money and dreams and put the original exhaust back on.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Just put a 3" exhaust on the ss commodore yesterday. I am afraid that I will have to take it back to the shop as the car vibrates bad when driving on the highway. Any suggestions as I really do not want to waste my money and dreams and put the original exhaust back on.

did they drop the tailshaft to fit the pipes???
if so they may not have lined it up properly, their is usually alignment marks or paint dot's, and somtimes file mark.

kdashton

Reaction score
Its the AFM Module and the resulting harmonics from the engine shutting down cylinders. thats why the Auto AFM Models have a different exhaust from the non-AFM manuals.

There are companies working on getting an exhaust sorted for AFM but the results arent that promising. I think Varex is one brand with something on the way.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Its the AFM Module and the resulting harmonics from the engine shutting down cylinders. thats why the Auto AFM Models have a different exhaust from the non-AFM manuals.

There are companies working on getting an exhaust sorted for AFM but the results arent that promising. I think Varex is one brand with something on the way.

I was under the impression Varex was a trademark of X-Force? (their mufflers with a motorised flap in to change the volume)

XForce - Performance Exhaust Systems

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

x 2 :thumbsup:

AFM + sports exhaust don't work well together. Others have had the same issue.

Holden have sorted the exhaust for you, why do you want to change it? :unsure:

First 888 G8

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GT
Afm on the highway at about 70 mph with a sport or other exhaust will cause drone that is irritating. Corsa makes a full catback that is drone free here in the states. Check it out if it is avail. By the way hello this is my first post

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
x 2 :thumbsup:

AFM + sports exhaust don't work well together. Others have had the same issue.

Holden have sorted the exhaust for you, why do you want to change it? :unsure:

He probably wants to change it because the stock exhaust is cheap, restrictive, reduces power and sounding like a vespa.

Go the full extractors, high flow cats and 3" stainless.

Anything else is a compromise!

Even HSV use pissy little tri-y's. Such a shame. Still ... the law is a little prohibitive about these things for manufacturers.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Simon, his is an AFM, which is a different kettle of fish when it comes to the exhaust.

The stock exhaust is the best anyone has come up with for the AFM's, without it rattling like a b!tch.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Simon, his is an AFM, which is a different kettle of fish when it comes to the exhaust.

The stock exhaust is the best anyone has come up with for the AFM's, without it rattling like a b!tch.

yeah that sucks ... who'd want AFM???? .... save a lousy 1 l per 100 km and lose 10 kw AND ability to do after market mods.