Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 and v8 VE diff

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Does anyone know if the V6 and V8 VE share the same diff . Do they both have the same size axles and number of splines. Any help would be appreciated.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
yes yes and yes, only the ratio's vary. HSV also have the same ZF diff. also V8 diffs are standard LSD v6 is optional.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
yes........

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Just got to make sure what year the diff is from ie. MY09,09.5.

I got a 3.27 fitted to my MY09.5 and diff was from the MY08 and it didn't fit like that.

Had to do some tweaks.

Flajibajib

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM caprice
Hey guys, kinda opening this discussion back up, will a station wagon diff fit on the sedan models? and also with a v8 diff into a v6, the flange measurements seem to be 96mm for v6 and 110 for the v8 diffs according to the workshop manual. so they wont fit? any help would be amazing

Last edited:

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Diff's are all the same across all models and will swap around. As you said about the flange size being different the V6 is wont bolt up to a V8 shaft and vice versa, but if you swap the flange around it will no problem at all

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Hey guys, kinda opening this discussion back up, will a station wagon diff fit on the sedan models? and also with a v8 diff into a v6, the flange measurements seem to be 96mm for v6 and 110 for the v8 diffs according to the workshop manual. so they wont fit? any help would be amazing
Yes,same diffs,,but,V8 flange is bigger than V6,you can swap'em over( same pinion splines),,but,because pinion bearings are old,tensioning the new flange is very important(even with the new one's )
Too tight both pinion bearings will be stuffed ,too loose,you'll end up with noisy diff cause pinion will be walking all over the crown .You really have to know what you'r doing here,can cost you heaps in parts and labour..

Last edited:

Thielek7

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Got a question, hopefully someone can help....
I've currently got a 3.45 in my 07 VE SSV which is manual and has just recently decided to **** itself, took it to mechanic (as she was still drivable - as such) so they could tell me its 100% the diff and give me a part number and pricing. When I got it back it was barley drivable, jumps and kicks in first and second until you change out and third up until 2 grand revs with horrible thuds and clunks in the ass end - to me its almost like the wheels aren't gripping so they spin until they grip then it drops a massive thud and sounds like the whole ass end is just going to drop on the road... Sorry its not much to go on, I can get a video tomorrow if thats any help, but question is - Does that sound like just the diff center or tail shaft and/or axel too?
I've been offered a stock diff from an Auto SV6 - will this just fit straight in or is there **** I gotta do to it?

Any help would be awesome!!