Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM Question

ssavage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 9.5
i will be getting an exhaust with and otr and mafless tune in a couple of weeks but im just unsure if i will have n e problems with the afm? ive herd that when afm kicks in the exhaust will sound like crap is this true and what can i do to fix this?

can i just get it removed?

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I've read that people get AFM disabled with the tune, not sure how true that is though. So I'd ask you're tuner if they've done it before.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
standard the AFM isn't that great, I heard on another forum someone can 'tune' it to be much much more effective, whilst gaining power still, not relevant, but thought ya might wanna know

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
A mate had his car done up by Autotechnique (VCM). They were waiting on parts for the OTR, so the exhaust went on about 3 weeks or so before the it was tuned properly, was great on 8 cylinders, but as soon as AFM kicked in it sounded ****.

Once they (VCM) got the OTR, they tuned it all up properly but they car still sounded **** once the AFM cut in. My mate then had them disable it, and it's been sweet ever since, still economical too, until you stick your foot into it.

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
You can turn off afm with a tune. When afm kicks in and the exhaust sounds like ****, its call "drone". Here in the states, there is only a few companies that claim their product is drone fee. I got Magnaflow axle backs put on yesterday and I have not experienced drone yet or maybe the sound doesnt bother me. I heard the drone on some systems is to loud, but usually on the freeway above 65 mph.

RustyCardores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportwagon
The problem with AFM is that as a 4 cyl the engine is simply not producing enough volume of gas to fill the exhaust. This allows the gasses to bounce around within the system and this causes the drone.

As mentioned above, you can stop this by deactivating the AFM. The other option is to run a bi-modal exhaust like the Varex (XForce - Performance Exhaust Systems) as this allows you to switch back to silent running (and exhaust back pressure just like standard) on the highway where AFM is likely to be active most.

bjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV
Have had mine turned off since new and not a problem running full difillipo 2.5. It is a very simple and easy procedure and tuners will not charge you any extra depite what some people on here might say.:beer chug::beer chug: