Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mafless Tune for MY2010 6.0l - Issues

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I have had my MY2010 VE SSV Ute since Nov 09 and sent it to be tuned, etc straight away. When the car was in the workshop I was informed that Holden had played with the computer such that the MY2010 model 6.0l cars wont accept a mafless tune. After a couple of weeks waiting they managed to get a tune into the car and it produced good power. When I drove the car home it started playing up a little with issues like:

Check engine fault light on the dash
Fuel consumption of around 35l/ 100km
Random surges on idle and random "hunting" - not from the cam
Random engine revs drop to around 750rpm then a sudden surge to stop it stalling - at cruising speeds - upto 100km/h
Occasional spluttering upon full throttle and then unburnt fuel out of the exhaust
Random performance changes

I have taken the car back to be looked at by anaffiliated workshop and they are now retuning the car with the MAF meter on the car. I will post when the car is returned to me next week.

jackm_fox

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
hey, yeah keep posted, as i have a nov 09 ssv ute and was going to the same to mine. sounds bad....best of luck mate

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have had my MY2010 VE SSV Ute since Nov 09 and sent it to be tuned, etc straight away. When the car was in the workshop I was informed that Holden had played with the computer such that the MY2010 model 6.0l cars wont accept a mafless tune. After a couple of weeks waiting they managed to get a tune into the car and it produced good power. When I drove the car home it started playing up a little with issues like:

Check engine fault light on the dash
Fuel consumption of around 35l/ 100km
Random surges on idle and random "hunting" - not from the cam
Random engine revs drop to around 750rpm then a sudden surge to stop it stalling - at cruising speeds - upto 100km/h
Occasional spluttering upon full throttle and then unburnt fuel out of the exhaust
Random performance changes

I have taken the car back to be looked at by anaffiliated workshop and they are now retuning the car with the MAF meter on the car. I will post when the car is returned to me next week.

I bought my Russo OTR from a guy who couldn't get his 09 SSV ute to run without the MAF.

That being said ... I'm sure a good tuner could overcome this issue.

Where are you from?

Ray23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Maloo 6.2L
whats a mafless tune?

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
whats a mafless tune?

the tuner removes the MAF sensor(mass air flow sensor) and retunes the car accordingly.

The MAF is the large black cylinder approx 4" round that is fitted in line in the air intake next to the airbox. It measures flow and temp.

Some Cold Air Intakes still use the MAF ... which is fine for basic tune, however they are usually removed to reduce restriction when you're looking for better results ... especially with full exhaust, cams or forced induction.

While the airflow info can be "tuned out" temperature is still required, so a temp sensor needs to be fitted into the CAI to aquire this data.

Hope this explains it.

kieran.87

Reaction score
A mate has his VZ 6.0l mafless tuned by the shop at the end of scorsby rd (Ferntree Gully end) in Melbourne, with an OTR. He hasnt had any problems with it so far. Ill get the name up of the shop tonight.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I bought my Russo OTR from a guy who couldn't get his 09 SSV ute to run without the MAF.

That being said ... I'm sure a good tuner could overcome this issue.

Where are you from?

Im from Adelaide.

Update...

Car has been put back to the mafless tune and returned to me as the Adelaide workshop didnt have a clue how to tackle this problem.

The car is going back to Melbourne to the original tuner to have another look at it.

Will post up all updates.

PS. Apparantly there is issues with putting a mafless tune on My2010 cars, however this particular workshop in Melbourne have managed to put a relatively sucessfull mafless tune to my car and are confident they will be able to sort out all the issues when they get the car infront of them.

One interesting outcome from the Adelaide workshop is that they managed to sort out the check engine light on the car by changing the battery for a lager one. At first when they said that I'll need a new battery on a 3-month old car I thought they were just trying to maximise their $$$ for this deal, but it seems to have sorted out this issue.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
UPDATE...

After 2-days with the "new larger" battery the "check engine light" has returned fro not apparant reason.

The car is booked in at the Melbourne workshop on the 15th Feb to be looked at.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Car is in Melbourne today and is being looked at by the original tuner. I am eagerly waiting for their call to say that it is ready to be picked up (looking like tommorow at this stage)

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I picked up the car from Melbourne yesterday and drove back last night to Adelaide. Most of the issues seem to have been resolved other than the revs dropping when I take my foot off the throttle at cruising speeds. This is when the engne revs drop to almost stalling sped and then the computer kick the revs up to around 1500rpm. This was only happening ocasionally on the way home, but then today the car is doing this more regularly to the point of becomng painfull.

As for the drive home, the car felt much stronger especially in the mid-range and made overtaking especially effortless.

Other than this which I suspect has something to do with the AFM programming not being altered by the tuner.

I have hilighted the answer/ fix from the tuner in RED

Check engine fault light on the dash O2 Sensor fault code rectified
Fuel consumption of around 35l/ 100km Retuned to return around 13.2l/100km on the way back
Random surges on idle and random "hunting" - not from the cam Partially resolved by tuning but see above comments
Random engine revs drop to around 750rpm then a sudden surge to stop it stalling - at cruising speeds - upto 100km/h Not resolved see above
Occasional spluttering upon full throttle and then unburnt fuel out of the exhaust Resolved - car "feels" much more responsive now
Random performance changes To soon to test

Overall I am quite happy with the service from these guys, they called me to let me know thery were working on the car and didnt charge me for the work done. They also said they will call me on Friday to see if I am happy with the work, etc.

Am going driving tonight so I will post how the car feels later on.