Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam or Supercharge???

benji09ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.05 SSV UTE
hi,
i cant decide on the above question, my goal is to get 400KW out of my ute, i currently have 315KW with the walkinshaw power pack, next step is either cams or charger. i use my ute every day if this makes any difference. im not sure exactly what the cams upgrade is/does all i know is that it sounds like sex on wheels. at the same time the whine of the charger sounds awesome. i have been looking at the capa system it retails for 6000k any info or opinions would be helpful

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
For a daily, i think a supercharger would be the better option?

If it was my ute, I would cam it, lumpy cams :) yum haha, i would keep it all muscle.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
charger esier to live with cam more muscle

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Charger will get you more power. depending on its setup

The walkinshaw supercharged VE's are putting out about 350rwkw with a few mods. so itll take more than a supercharger i think

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I went cam ... very happy that i did. Goes hard, sounds as tough as nails.

I think a lot of these so called 350rwkw supercharged results are somewhat over-enthusiastic.

Just look at the VEs that are pulling 11's on youtube ... they're all cammed ... running either the GM Motorsports street racer like mine, or the even lumpier turbo killer. Although the latter is too radical for an every day driver IMO.

You wont get those sort of results out of a supercharged car with a $6k kit ... you'll need to add higher boost, intercooler, injectors, full exhaust etc.

I've spoken to a few guys who went down the $6k path ... always happy when it's first done, but they soon wish they had something that was tougher ... and that means throwing a lot more money at it.

For just over $3k you can have a decent big cam fitted, with valve springs, push rods and tune. Throw in another $600-800 for an OTR and $3k for the full exhaust and you'll get a REAL 300-320 rwkw, with proven results.

Mine is an every day driver ... took a little bit of getting used to, but I love it.

Cam AND supercharger will get you the power you're after ... BUT if you want 350+rwkw from the start, then you can't go past a GenTT twin turbo system ... google them ... amazing results.

benji09ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.05 SSV UTE
camm?

when u say cam upgrade is hard to get use to what do you mean?

below is the link for the supercharger i have been looking at, your opinion is needed
CAPA : Supercharger Kits

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
when u say cam upgrade is hard to get use to what do you mean?

below is the link for the supercharger i have been looking at, your opinion is needed
CAPA : Supercharger Kits

A car with a hot cam needs to be driven ... that is; you need more revs when taking off and you need to keep the revs in a certain range so that it doesn't "chug". It's all part of the appeal to me ... it makes them sound and drive like a real muscle car.

They're showing a dyno sheet with 319rwkw ... but read the small print ... that's at 6psi, not 5 as per the package. Speaking of which ... "Rated Horsepower" of 395 kw seems rather "enthusiastic" when at 5psi it's probably making less that 300rwkw.

Something doesn't add up???

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
that rated figuer would be the ls3 6.2 with 5 pounds

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
that rated figuer would be the ls3 6.2 with 5 pounds

I didn't think there was that amount of difference between the LS3 and L98 once you started playing with induction and cams??

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
bolt a supercharger on to a stock 6.2 With 5 psi would spit out 395kw i would think but im no expert
but i would agree once you start playing with cams and mapping there would be little difference with the 200 cc difference.
but these kits are advertised as bolt on to you car as is