Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cai ve ss

G8GT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VESS
Whats the best Cold air Intake for the VE SS
1.air hammer
2.Russo
3.Orossom
4.Ramjet
5.others

Nemo316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
I'd also like to know are they worth it?

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Whats the best Cold air Intake for the VE SS
1.air hammer
2.Russo
3.Orossom
4.Ramjet
5.others

What do you want to achieve?

Air hammer will give you small power increases at relatively low cost ... but there is still an argument that the pod-style can actually take power away. I had a pod style ... and wouldn't do it again. All it did was give me good induction noise.

I'm running a Russo now ... and I'm very happy. I did a lot of research on the various units available and couldn't go past the basic physics of the large panel filter sitting right behind the grill. Orossom and others sitting above the radiator are OK ... but just don't have the flow capabilities.

I've not seen a Ramjet in the flesh, however the design is almost identicle to the Russo ... and if it's from the guys at GM Motorsports, it will be excellent!

Keep in mind that you can't run the Russo/Ramjet with an auto, because the radiator is tipped back on an angle and the filter drops down in front of it. This is not possible with a trans cooler on an Auto.

Also have a think about if you intend to do other things such as full exhaust/cam etc. This will determine if you should go maffless to increase the flow even more and overcome some of the tuning issues with a MAF ... which means a tune is essential.

If you want good bang for you bucks for moderate spend, go cat back exhaust, Russo or Ramjet OTRCAI and a tune. Whole lot will cost you pprox $3k and take you from around 200-210rwkw to 250-ish.

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
Keep in mind that you can't run the Russo/Ramjet with an auto, because the radiator is tipped back on an angle and the filter drops down in front of it. This is not possible with a trans cooler on an Auto.QUOTE]

Are you serious?? That sucks!!!
I was gonna get one for my VE Calais (which is now up for sale)
I'm sure the guys at GM dont just make them for manuals, that would be stupid!!

G8GT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VESS
Keep in mind that you can't run the Russo/Ramjet with an auto, because the radiator is tipped back on an angle and the filter drops down in front of it. This is not possible with a trans cooler on an Auto.QUOTE]

thanks
same here are you sure

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV

It's not the fault of the manufacturer ... it's the fact that there is not enough room in front of the radiator for the filter section if there is a trans cooler sitting there. It's also not as easy to tip back the radiator. Basic fact I'll attach a shot of my engine bay so you can see what I mean ... look at the 2 x red brackets that extend the top two radiator mounts by about 80mm

Here's the thing ... you go Russo or Ramjet if you want the very best kw possible ... you can still get good results from Orssom, Ziggy or some of the other OTRs that sit above the cowling rather than in front of the radiator.

4168122305_33db41752a_b.jpg

tezza_vess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV A6 (MY10)
I've got a Russo on my VE SS auto - no trans cooler though.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV