Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A few VE SS Q's

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
I am planning on doing a few mods to my VE SS soon and have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated

1. I want to lower it using Monroe GT lowered shocks and King Springs. Im not sure what springs I should use super lows or ultra lows. The car rides on 245/35/20's. I don't want it to scrape out on the arches and a panel beater has told me with ultra lows the wheels will bend the guards over large bumps. I don't know how true this is. If anyone has pics of ultra lows and super lows fitted it would be great. I have done a search but only had limited results.

2. I am also going to buy a X-force system. What is the best size to go 2.5" or 3". I also have a set of HSV extractors and hi flow cars which I will change at a later date to a true 4 into 1. The car will also be having a re tune and carbon fiber otr fitted and at a latter stage have a cam fitted.

Thanks guys.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'd personally go for the 3 inch system - standard is already 2.25 - plus the 3 inch sounds a fair bit deeper.

As for the springs, I've heard of a few guys running ultra lows - most tend to take them out as the ride is apparently terrible! Plus, getting overtaken by pedestrians on any surface other than a freshly laid road sucks! Most seem to run with SLs or SSLs. Personally, I think any more than 30-50mm lower and you're going to start ripping bits off your car. Mine's down 25mm and still scrapes like a bastard! (though I'll probably go lower when I move house and have a better driveway! :thumbsup: but 40mm would be max for me I think.)

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Whats,

SL - ????
SSL- ????
SSSL - ????

I know one is super low and I think SSSL is ultra can someone clear this up for me

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I agree with Tinsnips on lowering, too much is never any good, the ride is terrible and sometimes it just looks horrible, I think mine is 40mm in the back, and 30 in the front and sits quite well.

As for exhaust, I have heard a VE SS sedan with a X-Force 3" exhaust, and after it had the same cam as mine in it, it was terribly loud, they ended up replacing the rear resonators with DiFilipo one's, that quietened it down a little, but was still loud. There are so many systems out there. If you are going for big HP then go a 3", but if you are only going to go up to about 500HP then 2 1/2" is fine. I only have a 2 1/2" X-Force exhaust and mine is fine and hasn't hindered the HP.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Sorry mate, should have clarified (though it's a bit of guess with springs as they all sit slightly differently.) As a rule, King Springs lows will drop the car about 25-30 mm - basically the same height as FE-2 (holden sport suspension) and SLs or Super Lows take it down to about 50mm. Add around 10-15mm for each additional 'S'. Hope that helps.

You'll find some general info here King Spring Automotive Aftermarket Springs but speak to a suspension shop and they should be able to show you pics of how your car would look. Just keep in mind the handling of the car, because you could end up driving a billy cart if you go too low! lol

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
So it will make sence to use super lows I think. I am leaning towards the 3" system as I dont want to go replacing things down the track due to future mods.

VE_SS_V8

Lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan, 57 Chev Belair, Harley Davidson

This is mine with PEDDERS sport rider extra lows, dropped the car about 50mm all around. Is it too low? maybe.. it does scrape the exhaust over speed bumps. As far as exhausts go, mine is fitted with a 3" X-force and is cammed, is it too loud ? Not for me, but horses for courses.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Good information about the springs there tinsnips, done your homework on them, and a very valid point about going too low, you need to go just right, and that is the hard decision, how much to go down? But you don't want not to go enough, then you'll have the opposite effect. Best advice, go and see you local suspension place, but ask around too and make sure they have a good reputation.

The 3" would be good on the track, but it is the time between when your driving it on the road as a daily driver that'll drive you nuts, plus the attention from the boys in blue as it would be border line. But I have heard the Difilipo 3" is better than the X-Force in that size.