Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best CAI for VE SS (keeping MAF and no tune)?

Mcbain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi All. I've been looking around at what CAI options are available without tuning or removing MAF. Just curious on any opinions or experience with:

1) Roto-Fab - Made for Pontiac G8 @$315 (US)
2) Air Hammer VE V8 Kit @ $450
3) KPM VE Stealth CAI Kit @ $695
4) KPM KH46 CAI Kit @ $490
5) MACE Engineering CAI Kit CAI832 @ $635
6) SS Inductions Growler + Big Mouth CAI Kit @ $640 (Reviews suggest this is poor choice)
7) DIY: Monaro replacement Induction box/pipe with k&n filter @ $200? approx.

Any comments or suggestions including options other than above would be appreciated.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Check out the new VCM OTR. It's yielded some pretty good results and looks very OEM.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Orrosm OTR :)

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
any sort of OTR even those that retain the MAF still need some degree of tuning or the AFRs will be all over the place and it'll run rich best bet is the list you sugested using Pod filter CAI's they still give you a decent gain and you can still use the MAF and dont require a tune I'm actually selling my old one off my car for alot less than the prices you quoted and its still in great nik PM me if your interested

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
I got the Roto and love it.

Mcbain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks to all for your responses.

As Redvess suggests, I don't want to mess around with tunes etc. So at this stage I'm leaning towards the Roto-Fab.

mi04se1 - I really just want to check that there is no differnece between G8 and Holden SS that would make installation more difficult. I would imagine they are identical but I'd rather find out from someone who has done it to an SS.

Cheers.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Well I have te VCM OTR which retains the MAF and I can't fault it, but I agree with redvess that even though you retain the MAF it will still require a tune,

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I really just want to check that there is no differnece between G8 and Holden SS that would make installation more difficult. I would imagine they are identical but I'd rather find out from someone who has done it to an SS.

Cheers.

Installation is the same for the SS and G8.

voodoossvuteSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Special Edition
I have also recently been in the market for an OTRCAI. I have spoken to a number of installers that have done heaps of these and they all recommend the MAFless. The one i am currently favouring is the VCM Suite and these guys also make a MAF version. If you want to keep the MAF due to legality issues in your state then that is fine but as said before you need to get a tune anyway. I had a SS Inductions CAI on my old VZ ute and it made it sound heaps better however power did not increase. If big power gains are what you want then MAFless are the way to go however if you have the money then by all means go MAF. One of the tuners i spoke to also said that they have got 450rwkw on a VE while still retaining the MAF.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I have also recently been in the market for an OTRCAI. I have spoken to a number of installers that have done heaps of these and they all recommend the MAFless. The one i am currently favouring is the VCM Suite and these guys also make a MAF version. If you want to keep the MAF due to legality issues in your state then that is fine but as said before you need to get a tune anyway. I had a SS Inductions CAI on my old VZ ute and it made it sound heaps better however power did not increase. If big power gains are what you want then MAFless are the way to go however if you have the money then by all means go MAF. One of the tuners i spoke to also said that they have got 450rwkw on a VE while still retaining the MAF.

Mafless tunes are the go with the LS1 as you'll see better power gains. With the VEs, many tuners are retaining the maf as there's better tuning capabilities with the VE's E38 ECM. Maf vs mafless tuning is an age old debate and everyone has different views. One tuner can be very biased towards one and another tuner the other.

Last edited: