Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible stretched timing chain !!!

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Just had my 75,000km service, ( '06 VE Calais) and as reported in other threads, warning signals were displayed like service reminder, engine light...ABS...etc...which was thought to be possibly thrown up due to battery problems. The battery had been discharged and has been flat a few times since needing the RACV.
Warranty expired Nov 30th '09.

Service yesterday found that warning light threw up code P0017 - possible timing chain stretch. They also did a software update.
If the timing chain is stretched apparently it's a big job....and expensive ($1500) and will need to be left for a few days. :(

They swapped the sensors and erased the code to see if it continued...it may have just been the sensors.....long drive home last night no engine light..YIPPEE.

Just been out this morning and <ding> it's re-appeared. :doh:

Anyone have any more info or advice for me on this ????....before I ring and submit...

:(

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
No need to bump the thread that ofter, you posted this morning, people are at work, be patient.

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
I 'bumped' it ONCE.

Anyways, they are covering the cost 75%....6 months out of warranty...so I'm happy with that.
Gets done Tuesday/Wednesday.
Smiths of Geelong and Holden have been great.

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
I 'bumped' it ONCE.

Anyways, they are covering the cost 75%....6 months out of warranty...so I'm happy with that.
Gets done Tuesday/Wednesday.
Smiths of Geelong and Holden have been great.

I hope my Holden dealer in Castle Hill will be able to do it at least partly paid for. - I have the same issue. They said up to 2K to fix.

It's in Holdens hands now so I will find out how it goes. I'm at 136,000 kms and 7 months out of warranty so I'm not looking hopeful :(

You are under 100,000kms and full Holden service history so that's a bonus, My last 2 services have been Lube Mobile and Myself, meaning I have a weaker case.