Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Sv6 standard 18" wheels/ tyres with snow chains?

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
hey guys,

Just a question i have been trying to work out over the last few days.

VE Sv6 18" wheels/ tyres with snow chains?

I have heard many things about wider and low profile tyres with snow chains i am aware that low profile tyres can not be used with snow chains but this is a standard wheel and my dealership no nothing on the matter so i thought to post it up here and see if someone else can help me out.

Cheers

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
A site where someone asked about snow chains on a VE SS, referred to this place RUD Snow Chains | Roof Carrier Systems

Plenty of information on why they can't be fitted to low profile tyres out there, but it looks as though it may be possible for the regular SV6 tyre? Maybe email the company in that link and ask.

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
Tyre Size

I'm in the same boat, looking at this site, it shows that they can fit the 245/45/R18. Only annoying thing is, i was going to change my tyre size and they don't have chains for the profile i want :(

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I figured also that the American Pontiac G8's would have the same issue, but seeing as it snows in the US, I had a look at their forum too.

This is pretty extreme and costly it would seem: Thule K-Summit for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

A more modest type of chain offering a requirement of only 6.3mm of clearance to operate. Also ABS compatible: SCC Super Z-6 for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

Not sure if you can get them in Australia/NZ though, maybe it is possible to order them.

I've made some enquiries about these for you - The SCC Super Z-6 don't suit VE Commodores as they foul on the swaybar link. The regular chains give better inner guard clearance and suit up to a 40 profile tyre just fine.

According to this Konig Chains Fitting Chart - there are chains available for 35 profile sizes.

ypod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6
Looking at the car manual it says the car does not fit snow chains.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Looking at the car manual it says the car does not fit snow chains.

Hey ypod

Where abouts in the manual did you find it I have flicked through the manual before and couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Hey ypod

Where abouts in the manual did you find it I have flicked through the manual before and couldn't find anything.

Cheers
Page 4 - 26

It's in the index under "Snow Chains" :hiding:

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
So in other words, from what i've gathered you can't put chains on the 245/45/R18 then? That seems very F'd up

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Caprice / VY Storm
put them on. go for a drive and im sure they will make their own clearance :p haha