Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV OTR's Which one and why

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SportWagon, VZ Crewman Cross 8
I know there has been plenty of different posts out there in regards to this issue, which OTR and why.

I have spent the last 2 weeks surfing the net and the forums both here and the good ol' USA as I have a SSV Special Edition as to which is best.

Most are tested on the dyno with the bonnet up some are tested with the bonnet down, etc. To me at the end of the day its what happens on the road that matters.

Basically I am no better off then where I was 2 weeks ago.

Prerequistes:

1) Heat Soak both city driving and highway best of both worlds
2) Fuel Economy
3) Performance
4) Ease of changing filter
5) Water transfer thru the filter.
6) Proof of air thruput tests, etc.

So far this is what I have come up with.

1) Ramjet - Possible water problems, cleaning filter, good air intake, with radiator cover looks stock
2) Du speed - Looks good, ease of cleaning filter, no to sure on the air thruput though.
3) Walkinshaw W427 copy - No water problems, looks stock, ease of changing filter, not to sure on the air thruput though cause of air intake to the side's and not front.
4)Vararam (American) - Can only go on whats on their website, they make some pretty big claims, anyone out there got one ???

These are my above 4 picks and any constructive feedback or criticism is more than welcome and would be much appreciated.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The only one worth having is the Dus Speed. Best looking, best flow (scoops air up from in front of the radiator and over the top of it, as well as from over the top). No water issues.

IMG_2008.jpg

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the duspeed is a nice looking unit, waiting for the new MAF version which apparently has a bigger filter area, not sure if it is ADR approved though. The VCM is ADR approved according to Tinsnips.

The thing that annoys me is that you cannot compare apples with apples, no one provides size of filter, flow rates, etc.

Has anyone had a look at this one, the Vararam, they provide Air Flow results, etc and make some pretty big claims, have a read, not sure if I believe all of it though.

VR-G8 Ram Air

Th

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I should correct my first post, i have looked at others, vcm being one of them and they do look the goods too but i'm pretty sure i'll be sticking with the dus. That one you linked looks a bit fugly imo. Proformance wise, well who knows.

ads1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
check out my recent post, OTR+Mafless tune with VCM this can also be maf tuned

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
At the end of the day, pretty much all of the top brand OTRs are much of a muchness performance and cost wise. It just comes down to which one you like the look of. Just steer clear of the cheap ebay jobbies and you'll be right.

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the responses, think I am going to go with the VCM, now for the exhaust !!!!!!!