Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust & Cold Air Induction

57chevvy

57chevvy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6.0 Litre SS Commodore
Hi guys, i need some help here. I have a 2008 VE 6.0 SS Commodore and i want to put cold air induction and a full performance system on it. I have phoned around different places in Perth to get prices and stuff but i'm getting confused on what i can and cant have legally.
Some say Extractors are illegal and so are otr. So can some one please give me some advice on what would be better. I'm not chasing big horse power just better fuel economy and some good sound from the V8

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
Hey mate
Never heard of otr and extractors being illegal, unless it makes your car too loud (think its 90db). Any mods void your manufacturers warranty on the parts they're connected to tho.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Extractors are fine so long as your exhaust isn't over the db limit as said above. MAFless tunes are illegal here in nsw. Also any intake with an exposed filter is illegal. VCM has the only OTR I've seen that is ADR approved. Can be MAF tuned aswell so no dramas with legality.

jackasscraig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve r8
That's true
90db for noise
You must have and pass an emissions test to also be legal
4 into 1 long tube headers will not pass as the cats are too far from the engine.
If you get all your mods done by formula tech/ walkinshaw performance you will not lose your manufactures warranty.
That's not to say it will be legal unless it is passed by an engineer and transport dept.
My s/c 2007 R8 has been off the road for 8 months with all this crap so if you want to keep driving your pride and joy
do it buy the books. Having your car off the road for that long sucks!!!!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi guys, i need some help here. I have a 2008 VE 6.0 SS Commodore and i want to put cold air induction and a full performance system on it. Some say Extractors are illegal and so are otr. So can some one please give me some advice on what would be better. I'm not chasing big horse power just better fuel economy and some good sound from the V8

If I were you I'd get a matte black DuSpeed OTR with MAF tune, HSV headers and cats. Keep the rest stock. Good power, economy, decent V8 sound and the foundation to make it noisier with a catback (say Manta from NAAF) at any time.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I read people say void warranty but your would already be voided without any mods since its a 2008 model. I would go a SS Inductions Growler instead of the OTR(I've had both on mine) OR the Wilkinshaw one which is the same one really just a different sticker. that will look almost factory and you will like the sound. Sometimes you find them cheaper on eBay.

Walkinshaw : Walkinshaw Performance - ve Walkinshaw Performance Cold Air Intake

SS Induction Growler : http://www.ssinductions.com.au/products/Holden-VE-V8-Growler-Cold-Air-Induction.html

It's then up to you if you get headers, I went the Pacemakers as they retain the O2 sensor. You can do headers only or the full system it's up to you depending on your budget. I would recommend if you get a tune to get a Maf tune but its not really necessary.

Last edited:

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Hey,I've got the VCM otr with maf no tune as yet with a 2.5" cat back Manta system runs great sounds great,Ive been picked up by the local poe-poe they looked at it warned me of my speed and left me... no probs you'll be fine..

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hm headers are legal 4-1's because the cats sit in the factory position. The factory hsv or ss cats are pathetic and bull **** restrictive! Get rid of them high power gain! As are xforce however there cats are 100 CPI so the cats themselves won't pass. But who cares I've never heard of anyone being defected for anything other than noise and pod filters.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
That's true
90db for noise
You must have and pass an emissions test to also be legal
4 into 1 long tube headers will not pass as the cats are too far from the engine.
If you get all your mods done by formula tech/ walkinshaw performance you will not lose your manufactures warranty.
That's not to say it will be legal unless it is passed by an engineer and transport dept.
My s/c 2007 R8 has been off the road for 8 months with all this crap so if you want to keep driving your pride and joy
do it buy the books. Having your car off the road for that long sucks!!!!

I think since this thread was started in 2010 and his cars a 08. Warranty doesn't play a big issue any more and would hope he's already made his cold air and exhaust decision a long time ago.

The 4-1 header point is interesting tho but makes sense, move the cats and it'll affect emissions