Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coilovers/aftermarket suspension - VEs

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Hey guyz.
been tossing up with coilovers/fixed setup and if they are worth it.

Now, adv and disadv of havin either one are obvious, however I do not have the pleasure of actually testing each on the actuall car which sucks big time.
Anyway, heres a couple of suggestions, and would like to know if anybody has the setup, and how they would rate them in terms of:

-Build quality (Notice any squeeks or noises)
-Ride quality (if adjustable, does it make a difference, if so, noticable or not)
-Ride height (if applicable, easy to adj, how much play)
-Cost

here are some I have heard of:

Pedders Sports Ryder eXtreme XA Adjustable Coil Overs
Pedders Sports Ryder eXtreme XA Adjustable Coil Overs - Pedders Sports Ryder eXtreme XA Coil Over Suspension - Pedders Suspension

Tein SS Coilovers

BC Racing BR Type Coilovers
BC Racing BR Type Coilovers 06+ Pontiac Solstice ZB-01: eBay Motors (item 120509979665 end time Aug-21-10 01:10:49 PDT)

FIXED Solutions:
Koni Yellow adjustables + Aftermarket springs (H&R, Eibachs...etc)

Thankyou guyz, would be good too see what people out there are running.
if they think its worth it, and if people out there have made a mistake and gone to a difference brand/setup.

-Geoff - 2008 SSV VE

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE
Im running pedders coilovers in my 2010 ssv ute, had it since new and put the coilovrs in at 1600ks. (now has 5000ks)

No noises what so ever.
Still playing with the soft/hard adjustments trying to get it to what i think is right for me.
As for height the fronts as they come straight out of the box are perfect for me (pretty low), The rear's im going to lower some more next week as i dont carry heavy loads.

There meant to be able to adjust all the way from strandard height to as low as you want.

Would get them again and again.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
cheers Lumina101.
How much ? (unit + install and setup)
Where at?

cheers

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE
About $2000 supplied and fitted from pedders South Melb.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i personally wouldnt put coilovers on a daily driver because to me its overkill and the ride quality does drop a fair bit. i think lowered springs is plenty. but on my previous car (which is now just a track car), I run DMS coilovers... which are awesome. not cheap, but awesome. if money is no object, and ride quality isnt as important as performance (and again- in a daily driver id take comfort over performance because on public roads you shouldnt be pushing the car that hard anyway), go coilovers. but for the same money, you can get lowered springs which still look and feel nice, and with the spare cash get matched sway bars and bushes and still have cash left over. you'll have nice tight steering response, but without the jarring ride of coilovers. different story if you intend to do track work with your car, but most people who buy coilovers dont ever get on a track- which is a waste of money. i guess pose factor comes into it a little bit too. (not that im calling you that!)

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
i have the pedders in my sv6 sedan, no probs as yet, very happy. the teins are dearer i think and they were having problems with the rear coil rubbing thru the shock body when adjusted down pretty low.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
thanks guyz

atm got stock fe2 shocks n lowered springs (blue n came with car) they're ****. n shocks don't lvl out quick enough
would love the coilovers, height adj and damper adj...but the money u spend is alot.

just would love to just get the perfect spring rate and height...and shocks to match (maybe slightly stiffer shocks,bound and rebound)

anybody used koni yellows and kings/eibachs etc....or pedders shocks + springs..or monroe GTs ?

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
if they are a blue coil they will be lovells or if they are a aqua blue/green they will be dobinson, lovells are a good spring and dobinson good in 4wd havnt used much of the car coils. have fitted kings and monroe gtsport in 2 ve and they seem pretty good, not to hard or to soft. also fitted tein s-tech coils and boge turbo shocks to a ve and seem pretty good as well but dont come down to much. both are short body struts.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
BC Racing and Pedders are made up of the same parts from the same factory as far as I know. BC racing are a fair bit cheaper. Tein SS are very basic. You get monotube shocks and base height adjustability with BC's compared to Tein SS.

A Bilstein coilover kit would be better than all of the above and Quadrant sell them Springs, Suspension, Coils, Shock Absorbers, Shocks by Quadrant Automotive Suspensions Australia Pty Ltd. Bilstein, H&R Springs - $2300
The Bilstein shocks are far superior to all of the above but still much cheaper than some of the exotic brands.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
^ Stupid automatic link re-naming