Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sorry, yet another exhaust/catback question

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
ok, firstly i apologise for yet another thread on exhausts, mainly catbacks. I spent most of last night trawling through the many posts on exhausts for the VE Ute and have come to the decision that i am still in the dark hence my need to ask..

Basically all i want at present is to make the v8 sound like one, i am not chasing extra power. this leads me to believe the cat back is the financial best option. i have read the many threads on the non droning kpm's and the sometimes drony xforce etc etc but my question is that spending upwards of $2500 on a kpm catback that is going to give a minimal if any power increase is a hell of a lot of money to spend that it better sound freaking awesome, but i realise a full system will sound better obviously.

yes, i have searched you tube (crap sound files cant be relied on) and i live in the remote parts of victoria that going somewhere to hear one in action is difficult. If i was going to spend 2.5k on a kpm exhaust is it going to make a big difference to the sound and as its a ute will the 3" with stock motor be overkill or will the 2.5" suffice...sorry to be a long post and apologies if this question been answered somewhat before but i couldn't find it!

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Read this thread mate SS Catback Exhaust any questions you have after reading it, just post on it.

Your question has been discussed in it as i was one of the people who wanted to know.

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
many thanks, post with many replies was one of the many i read. i put in a simple call to gary at chevs performance centre and his reply was very detailed and have since decided to go 3" catback as he quoted me an awesome deal as at the same time i gettign coilovers, have 5k to burn and now i have the ute i itching to do it but wanted to make sure on this forum as experience counts for everything, but this place knows a thing or two about exhausts too..thanks

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
many thanks, post with many replies was one of the many i read. i put in a simple call to gary at chevs performance centre and his reply was very detailed and have since decided to go 3" catback as he quoted me an awesome deal as at the same time i gettign coilovers, have 5k to burn and now i have the ute i itching to do it but wanted to make sure on this forum as experience counts for everything, but this place knows a thing or two about exhausts too..thanks

What are you going to get done with the 5k?
Whats exhaust did u decide on?

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
What are you going to get done with the 5k?
Whats exhaust did u decide on?

for the 5k i am getting the 3" kpm catback and pedders xtreme coilovers, may even have enough left over to get a chevy badge (cough cough)

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
for the 5k i am getting the 3" kpm catback and pedders xtreme coilovers, may even have enough left over to get a chevy badge (cough cough)

how much is he charging for the Catback mate?

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
how much is he charging for the Catback mate?

free fitting, the sme price as on kpm's website but minus the fitting charge..have researched catbacks etc for about 3 weeks as you probaby have too, seems to me after all research the one to go for, as i got a ute dreaded drone wont be an issue and as its a kpm it certainy wont be, size matters 3"' over 2.5", think the wife might confirm this..and as everyone states down the road if u decide to go further with mods the 3" is the go...bro

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
free fitting, the sme price as on kpm's website but minus the fitting charge..have researched catbacks etc for about 3 weeks as you probaby have too, seems to me after all research the one to go for, as i got a ute dreaded drone wont be an issue and as its a kpm it certainy wont be, size matters 3"' over 2.5", think the wife might confirm this..and as everyone states down the road if u decide to go further with mods the 3" is the go...bro

Yea i've been looking into it for a while too. The 3" KPM definitely seems like the way to go

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
Yea i've been looking into it for a while too. The 3" KPM definitely seems like the way to go

well i must admit i aint heard either in the flesh but have researched and looked on this forum and ls1 etc and as i aint interested in power gains, yet, people mention the 3" might be overkill on a stock engine but all i am chasing is extra v8 grumble and noise, so the bigger 3" is the go bro

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
wigbilly, if your in sydney, we can do a meet and u can test drive my car.

running Xforce 1 7/8 headers, hi flow cats, 2.5" cat back with Varex mufflers.

when i had the cat back and no headers, the sound was deep with no drone in cabin.
changed the headers to the Xforce, and not as deep anympre, still no drone, but the engine note is more raspier and crisp, more free flowing and more agressive.

i've heard that getting a 3" mid pipe will increase drone no matter what maker, when i mean drone, i mean a slightly more deeper note/vibration which transfers to the cabin. this note may differ from brand to brand but with my setup, i'm confident you'll love it.

gimmie a pm if u are in sydney :)

-Geoff

P.S - i ain't a dealer or a exhaust shop dude..lol...