Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 roller rockers ?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Hay all
.Does the l98 v8 have roller rockers as standard?If so are any good and can you get after market ones eg. yella terra?Or if anyone point to a thread on this subject that would great
thanks.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
From what I am led to believe they are not roller rockers but hydraulic roller lifters, not as good as the roller rockers

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
From what I am led to believe they are not roller rockers but hydraulic roller lifters, not as good as the roller rockers

oh ok iam still new to v8's,any other info woud be great.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I am still learning things too, but you can change the lifters to rollers, but I don't think it is cheap, the lifters are still good, haven't had any issues with mine, the only issue you can get is if you put a large cam in and advance it to gain more power, you could have an issue with piston to valve clearance.

But there also seems to be a bit of an issue with the VCM OTR at the moment, filters coming loose, housing cracking, so be careful on your decision of one of these too.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I am still learning things too, but you can change the lifters to rollers, but I don't think it is cheap, the lifters are still good, haven't had any issues with mine, the only issue you can get is if you put a large cam in and advance it to gain more power, you could have an issue with piston to valve clearance.

But there also seems to be a bit of an issue with the VCM OTR at the moment, filters coming loose, housing cracking, so be careful on your decision of one of these too.

Crap! i just got VCM OTR with a maffless tune

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
My understanding of the situation is that the issues are relatively isolated. Just keep an eye on it - same with any aftermarket gear - just check it regularly.

oh ok well i wash the car and do general maintenance on the car if needed most weekends

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
That is correct tinsnips, not everyone has the issue, I have not had the issue with the filter, but the housing, they are still a good OTR, just need to keep an eye on them now,

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
yeah that's a good time to check everything out - run a white cloth around the intake behind the filter to see if it's letting anything through or if the filter has become dislodged.

I'm the same - I check most things at each wash - probably overkill but better to be safe than sorry. At least if there is an issue, you'll pick up on it early.