Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2010 L98 Catch Can Which one

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SportWagon, VZ Crewman Cross 8
VE 2010 L98 Catch Can Which one - HELP !!

Have had a look thru the threads but cannot find what I am after.

Going to install a catch can, after pulling my VCM OTR off the other day opened up the butterfly on TB and OMG, I know there is supposed to be oil residue but it cannot be good for performance/fuel economy etc. I know its supposed to only benefit high reving motors etc, but from what I see any reduction in oil vapours cannot be a bad thing.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) In Vic are they illegal if non-vented.

2) From first hand experience which one is the best taking into consideration emptying, filtering, ease of fitment, etc.

3) Does the standard engine cover still fit.

Cheers

Last edited:

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Lots of people go for the Elite catch can. They're more expensive than most though, but there's lots on the market to choose from. In terms of legality, as long as it's not vented to atmosphere it's legal. Some brands will fit under the engine covers, some won't.

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just purchased the Elite catch can, the Billett looks the same and while slightly cheaper didn't like the idea running the long breather hoses to the other side of the engine bay.

here are some pictures of inside your manifiold, the G8 Forum, food for thought.

Catch Can Install - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Cheers

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
My catch can was delivered yesterday and woop's it doesn't fit.

This is what I found, the Elite catch can will fit a L98 but not the MY10 as the fuse box is in the way and other associated hoses. The bracket that came with it doesn't work, I went to the Elite website and from what I found the kit you need is the for the Camaro but even then I am not 100% that I will be able to undo the bottom of the can due to the water pump hose - http://eliteengineeringusa.com/Camaro_Catch_Can_Install_LS3.pdf

The bracket it is shipped with is this one and there is just to much stuff in the way - http://eliteengineeringusa.com/Installation_Instructions_LS2_Catch_Can.pdf

What I have come up with is a way to mount the can with the existing bracket and still be able to remove the bottom of the can. Due to gravity does the can have to be mounted below the outlet from the motor to make it easier for the oil vapour to drop into the can ???

I have attached pictures of were I am going to mount it, in this position it is also very easy to empty the catch can, where is the Camaro mount it will be a pain in the butt. I have just sat the can in position I havent drilled any holes as yet.

Or am I on drugs and it is supposed to go where it was designed to with the existing bracket. Anyone out there who has one of these on a VE MY10 utilizing the square bracket please send me some pic's.

Anyone who wants to put input in please do.

chocco-albums-elite-picture106447-2010-12-08-18-30-00.jpg

chocco-albums-elite-picture106448-2010-12-08-18-29-47.jpg

chocco-albums-elite-picture106440-2010-12-08-18-30-47.jpg

chocco-albums-elite-picture106439-2010-12-08-18-31-02.jpg

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have installed my catch can onto the fuse box for now, no drama's. Took it for good drive and guess what - no more rough idle.

Will wait and see if it continue's to idle with no problems, will check the can after 1000k and see what the verdict is and if I am worrying about nothing in regards to what I think is excessive oil behind the T/B.

Cheers

marcus1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
hey mate where did you by this elite catch can i was looking at getting the chrome version also was going to ask for both brakets but i thingk the camaro type is the one i need for LS3.

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Welcome to Tuff Car Parts

Speak to justin he is really helpful.

Depending on the year of your LS3 will depend on which bracket. Use google images - elite catch can ls3, this is what worked for me.

Cheers

Cheers

marcus1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
mine is an 09 maloo i seen one with a long round piece of ally tube that is threaded and attached where the earth strap is and the othere is the bracket like yours i might just order the 2 brackets to see wich one fits best so no dramas. post up some picks of how you run the hoses if you could that would be great.! cheers

also whats tuff cars phone number much easier to talk and understand what i need

marcus1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
do u have justins phone number at tuff car parts? iv looked but had no luck ive sent an email with no reply