Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warranty Claim - Am i being reasonable?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
G'day Guys, As i know there are a few guys that work in dealers on here i thought i 'd ask the question and get some perspective.

I bought my SSV with AFM back in March this year, and by about 5000km's (approx 3 months) i noticed a rattle in the motor. I posted up here about it and you guys helped a lot with different suggestions about oil filters etc but no luck. The noise sounds like a lifter rattle only it doesn't happen as soon as its started, but after about 30 seconds. The rattle lasts maybe 30 seconds then fades away. It used to only happen when cold and wouldn't do it for the rest of the day, but now its starting to become a regular thing.

So, being out in the outback, i have to take it 300km's to Dubbo to get it serviced. First visit they listened to it and said they'd have to wait until it became regular so that they could track it down. They suspected an oil change at 15000 would solve it. So the 15000 service has been done, the noise is still there, and i'm getting steadily more and more annoyed as you can imagine. I told the service guy that i will be dumping the car there at the 30000 km service and it can stay there til its fixed, he's okay with that but how do i get home? The dealership won't give me a car to borrow and i'm damned if i'll hire a car when i paid so much to buy this one!

So, questions, am i being reasonable in asking for a replacement car while they fix mine? My bosses Ford did a cylinder head a few years back, took em a month to fix and they were good enough to lend him a car off the lot. Can i take the car to a local mechanic that i trust and have him sort it out? That way i guess i can at least walk to work. Or can i just contact Holden and ask them to resolve the issue?
Just noticed that the drivers side outer door trim has come loose too, wonder if i'll have trouble with that too?

Cheers
Bill

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
I sorta think it is a bit unreasonable :(

Cars, like most things have a return to base warranty. U take the item back to the service place and they fix it. Maybe Holden should offer add-ons for the warranty for stuff like that.

It's similar but not the same as if someone buys a computer from my work. U buy it from the shop. It has a return to base warranty. We ALWAYS get people wanting us to pick it up from their house and drop it off because it's not their fault a component fails etc. etc. Doesn't work like that.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Taking to a workshop or mechanic other then holden will void the rest of your warranty. It's up to you weather you take it to a mechanic you trust and void your warrenty or take it to the holden dealership. Maybe see if you could talk to someone higher up rather then the mechanic's regarding the hire car

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I don't think you are being unreasonable in wanting the engine problem fixed, but getting a free car and putting 100's of kms on it is pushing it.

Make sure you document all conversations and repairs with the existing issue. Times, dates, names of people you spoke to, exactly what was discussed.
Squeeks and rattles arent covered by the dealer warranty unfortunately (have a read through warranty book), but the dealer can use their discretion in fixing issues as they see fit.
Engine problems are another matter though. If you say it's getting worse, you need to make sure that its noted on the service invoice just in case things go from bad to worse.

Are you 100% sure the noise is coming from within the engine and not from a part rattling against the block in the engine bay?

I know it would be annoying having a new car and having rattles and squeaks (I'd be the same with mine if I had your issue), but you cant expect dealer to hand over a loan car considering your remote location. Try and work with them proactively (dont say things like "im leaving it here until its fixed" because then it'll just sit there!), but if you still dont get any love a letter or phone call to HQ might move things along. But remember, once you do that you are probably going to sour things with the local dealer so dont go jumping on the phone without thinking first.

Finally (sorry for long post), if the crap hits the fan remember that logic, forward planning, and cool/calm is much better than angry thoughtless ranting. Cold resolve and being a constant pain in the arse is a hell of a lot more effective than angry crazy man when it comes to car dealers ;).
Sorry I cant be more help.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Taking to a workshop or mechanic other then holden will void the rest of your warranty. It's up to you weather you take it to a mechanic you trust and void your warrenty or take it to the holden dealership. Maybe see if you could talk to someone higher up rather then the mechanic's regarding the hire car

You probably shouldn't offer advice on topics you obviously have no knowledge on. Getting it diagnosed anywhere wont void the warranty, and its highly unlikely he was talking to a mechanic, thats what service advisors are for.

Taking it to a non Holden workshop to get diagnosed will give you more ammo when at the dealer. Problem is the diagnosis wont be free because they cant claim the labour time back from Holden like dealerships can. Same as any repairs, you'll pay for it.

Wouldn't hurt to ask for a car off the used car lot to get you by but they aren't obligated to do so.

Maybe wait till the noise is very obvious so it can be diagnosed quickly. As you have reported the noise if something fails it will still be covered by warranty.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
You probably shouldn't offer advice on topics you obviously have no knowledge on. Getting it diagnosed anywhere wont void the warranty, and its highly unlikely he was talking to a mechanic, thats what service advisors are for.

sorry what i meant was if he got the mechanic to fix the problem if he found one then that would more then likely void his warranty, i didn't mean the warrenty would be voided by simply having a mechanic look at it and diagnosing it. The way i read the post was that he was considering to take it to a local mechanic to get it fixed so he could walk to work, instead of driving the distance to a holden dealer

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah, its reasonable to expect them to fix it IF there is a problem. Could just be a noise rather than a problem .... They sold you the product with warranty so its there job to fix any issues. Not being able to diagnose the problem is not your issue, they need to work it out for themselves. Getting home is another story. I bet the warranty doesn'y say anything about a replacement car, and its not really holdens problem where you choose to live, so be prepared to walk home unless of course they choose to look after you as a valued customer ( having sold you a faulty product ) and help you out with some wheels. Old Gemini or something perhaps.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
is it possible to put a sound file on here? maybe that could help with opinions. afm lifters are known to be noisy. i have them but my afm is switched off(tuned)
just an idea.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
sorry what i meant was if he got the mechanic to fix the problem if he found one then that would more then likely void his warranty, i didn't mean the warrenty would be voided by simply having a mechanic look at it and diagnosing it. The way i read the post was that he was considering to take it to a local mechanic to get it fixed so he could walk to work, instead of driving the distance to a holden dealer

Fair enough that makes sense. Though paying for repairs when they can be done under warranty doesnt make sense :D

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think the lack of a replacement car, and the distance you live from the dealer is just typical of the sort of problems rural Australians face. It's a huge country and the local dealer can be hundreds of k's away, but neither Holden nor any other manufacturer is liable for the difficulties that causes you when the car needs repairs.

You are certainly within your rights to have the vehicle put right under the conditions of the warranty but the replacement vehicle has to remain your problem.