Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Mod question.

invictus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventura
I am looking in the near future at getting either a VE Calais or SSV V8 and was wanting to do some resonable mods to it. My end goal would be either a supercharged or twin turbo car with around 500 fwkw's.
I guess my questions are these.
1. Other than looks, is there any performance advantage between the Calais and SSV?
2. Would you do all your minor mods like cold air intake, exhaust, cam etc before you put on forced induction, or would you do the forced induction and then do everything after that? I dont want to do something like the cam and then find out once I have put FI on it that I have to change it.
3. Supercharged vs Twin Turbo? What are the costs differences between both options? Obviously there are differences between the two, but performance wise, whcih one is more likely to give quicker 0-100 times, less wheel spin at take off, more quieter ride etc? Which one is more reliable, which one needs to be rebuilt quicker etc?
Thanks in advance.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
these are all good questions.

there is only 2 perforance advantages the SS/SSV gets. FE2 suspension and LSD standard. the calais gets a more comfort aimed suspension package and i'm not 100% sure if it comes with LSD standard or you have to option it?

all the other questions should be aimed at your local performance shops and not top guns on forums.

Haluigi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ssv g8 ute
Yeah prob best to speak to Performance shops about that. Although IMO supercharged is more suited to v8 but if you wanted to be different then you don't see many turbo set ups around. And yeah ssv is more sports aimed whereas Calais is a luxury mover.

Prob cheaper going supercharged over twin turbo because the turbo would be a custom set up no?

4wheelinls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ralliart
Supercharger generally is cheaper but twin turbo is mad. You will need valve springs, fuel system, clutch on top of your conversion. Don't be afraid to drop at least 15k for it to be done correctly though.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Walkinshaw performance do a supercharger kit along with other upgrades which don't void your Holden Drivetrain Warranty.

Reaper

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Depends if you want manual or auto, calais don't do manual, and like stated before calais is class where as ssv is sports, even though the ssv handles better from standard with that much power you will need aftermarket suspension to keep it on the road not to mention brakes as well, so it all comes down to manual or auto. Twin turbo kit about 8k for the kit and about 15k fitted same as supercharged, with a supercharger you get better power response but with turbo you get better power figures, so depends on if you wanna be a dyno queen or 1/4 mile champ.
With walky gear it's overpriced with minimal power because you keep your warranty, so it's not worth it, personally i went cam and tune over supercharger because of the price difference and i spent 6k and got 330rwkw with a mild cam. Dunno what that equates to at the flywheel but i'm guessing about 440.

invictus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventura
Thx for the replies. So would the supercharger be a better way to go if you are looking for 0-100 times? I understand that the ability to put the power to the road is the biggest limiting factor with high powered cars like these, but in a straight line which one would give more usable power to the road, ie less wheel spin? Im not overly interested in being a dyno champ, just a nice clean and stock looking car with around 500kw.
Also what power figures are available but doing Cold Air, extractors, exhaust, cam and other engine mods without going with FI?
Depends if you want manual or auto, calais don't do manual, and like stated before calais is class where as ssv is sports, even though the ssv handles better from standard with that much power you will need aftermarket suspension to keep it on the road not to mention brakes as well, so it all comes down to manual or auto. Twin turbo kit about 8k for the kit and about 15k fitted same as supercharged, with a supercharger you get better power response but with turbo you get better power figures, so depends on if you wanna be a dyno queen or 1/4 mile champ.
With walky gear it's overpriced with minimal power because you keep your warranty, so it's not worth it, personally i went cam and tune over supercharger because of the price difference and i spent 6k and got 330rwkw with a mild cam. Dunno what that equates to at the flywheel but i'm guessing about 440.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I got 262 Rwkw with Cold Air, extractors, exhaust and tune. Depends on what cam you choose, but it will shoot you past 300rwkw. As mentioned above, talk to a performance shop, and tell them exactly what you want as the finished product. They will be able to give you all the pros and cons of a Turbo vs Supercharger and they will know if any other ancillary equipment needs to be upgraded too. Also, they will be able to help you in what order to do the upgrades if you dont do it all in 1 go, saves you doing things twice.

+ 1 for upgrading brakes, Ive had a VS, a VX SS and VE SSV and I've found the standard brakes on all three to be, well, sub-standard.

4wheelinls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ralliart
The supercharger power is more predictable but the typical water/air aftercooler efficiency is poor. Their are also turbo kits and turbo kits, plain bearing vs roller bearing as well as significantly different intercooler setups. Turbo's also offer the ability to easily modify the boost pressure and therefore performance. Turbo's are less parasitic and theoretically are more economical if that is a consideration.