Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a interior change?

sciacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Hey guys

Recently ive been fairly bored with my VE's interior as it just seems to be a little plain for my likings. I was considering pulling apart parts of my dash and painting them? (Not alot of parts mainly just the plastic strips near speedo and glovebox)
Good idea or not?
has anyone done this before? if so id love to see the results

If anyone has any experience with painting theese types of surfaces id appreciate a bit of guidlines on how to go about it also

Cheers :)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
go with vinyl wrap if you want to change the colour of hard plastics - it softens up the feel of them a bit and, if you hate it, you can pull it off.

I think the upper dash sections infront of the passenger and the driver, plus the rest of that soft, texutred plastic and pillars would be fantastic wrapped in Alcantara - not cheap.. but awesome. Especially if you matched it to the seats.

sciacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I see haha well i defintly wont be trying it on my own as i dont have much experience with working on anything in a car.

Sorry for all the questions but just out of curisoty, your opnion- would paint look dodgy?

Cheers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
my opinion? yes. It would look dodgey.

Vinyl is pretty easy to do yourself. You just wrap it so it's flat and heat it with a heat gun a little - it will shrink and mould around the bits and pieces. But there are car wrapping places that will do the work for you also - and there's a huge range of vinyl stock to choose from.

sciacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6 COMMODORE
alrighty then so i think im liking this idea, thanks alot for your help mate appreciate it if i decide to go thru with it within the next month or two there will be result pics somewhere

Cheers

Mysterious-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rb30 VK
hey mate, i painted the interior of my Omega, such as the center console and the strip that seperates the dash from glovebox, stereo, etc,
i went with a a deep metallic purple, came up pretty good, just a very awkward process with the detail in the center console,
but i actually dont mind how it came up, doesnt look too tacky actually adds a bit of colour to it

i have a few pics, just gotta upload them, will share with ya shortly

cheers

sciacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Hey mysterious

Yea i wasnt too sure where ezactly id paint if i were going to, so id love to see where ezactly you painted and how it turned out :).
Did you spray in prima before painting also?

Cheers for the reply

Mysterious-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rb30 VK
hey,
yeah i primed it with an adhesive plastic primer, which i brought from autobarn at about 16 bucks a can
the paint itself is what they call Phantom purple, which is also the new purple on the new *cough*fords*cough* but i got it given to me, and for 50 bucks a can, i was happy with that

the only thing i couldnt spray, which i wasnt happy with was the fascia of the stereo,
pulled it all apart hoping that the buttons & Dials will just unclip, or come out with a screw,
it was in about a million bits just to reach behind the buttons and found out they were actually glued to the fascia itself, so for now, it stays silver :)

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

cheers