Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM Tune/Flash

Mysterious-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rb30 VK
hey guys,

just interested in the VCM tuning or flash, what ever you would like to call it,
what exactly is it? I noticed the suite to do it is 925 bucks,
but can i take it somewhere to get it tuned? and whatt kind of price am i looking at to do so?

cheers

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
Hey man,
If you take it to a shop to get done, VCM in Melbourne would be able to do it for you, you would be looking at around the same price for them to do it for you.

Mysterious-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rb30 VK
hey,
thanks mate, where abouts is it located in melbourne, do you know?
so im practically better off buying the suite and doing it myself?
also, ive seen people say it has a beneficial gain, but all on a SS or SSV
would it be worth it on a V6 for the money?

cheers

Mysterious-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rb30 VK
also, would i be better off just getting a dyno tune as it is now, then getting the VCM later? after exhausts, air intakes, etc. ?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You're going to be very limited as to what you can actually do with a tune on an omega. If you have the 3L, I don't think anyone is tuning them. CHE in sydney is tuning the 3.6 manuals. Not sure if anyone is doing the autos (ie tuning shift points).

To be honest, it's a thousand bucks you won't get back in an omega. Save the cash mate.

If you buy the suite, you also have to buy the licence and the training - plus all the gear to use it.. so definitely not worth purchasing it outright unless you are actually a tuning tech. There are a few places that will send you a mail-order tune and an autocal which you plug in and send them data so they can modify the tune remotely (EFI Live tuners often do this).

For the record, a VCM suite tune is a dyno tune ('dyno tune' being the generic name for any tune that uses a dyno as opposed to on-road tune).

Mysterious-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rb30 VK
You're going to be very limited as to what you can actually do with a tune on an omega. If you have the 3L, I don't think anyone is tuning them. CHE in sydney is tuning the 3.6 manuals. Not sure if anyone is doing the autos (ie tuning shift points).

To be honest, it's a thousand bucks you won't get back in an omega. Save the cash mate.

If you buy the suite, you also have to buy the licence and the training - plus all the gear to use it.. so definitely not worth purchasing it outright unless you are actually a tuning tech. There are a few places that will send you a mail-order tune and an autocal which you plug in and send them data so they can modify the tune remotely (EFI Live tuners often do this).

For the record, a VCM suite tune is a dyno tune ('dyno tune' being the generic name for any tune that uses a dyno as opposed to on-road tune).

thanks for the info, mines a 3.6L auto, so that is also another issue
well i feel like a bit of an idiot now
so as for performance i should probably just stay stock for 3 years until im 21 and go a V8, or atleast get an SV6

what your saying makes heaps of sense, and definately gives a change of mind,
thanks

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
No reason to feel like an idiot, mate. Don't worry about it. There are guys making gains from tuning the SV6 motors - but I just feel that it would be money down the drain for an omega (if it's even possible). Being the 3.6, I'd say they'd be able to adjust parts of the tune, at least - but you wouldn't pick up any decent Kw/$ if you know what I mean.

Use the cash to get the car to look how you want it, handle, stereo, etc - but I think, overall, you'd be disappointed with the gains you'd make vs the money you'd have to spend on go fast bits for a performance increase. I'm not sledging Omegas in any sense - but they were never designed to be particularly quick, so you're swimming against the current in that regard. My advice.. enjoy it for what it is - then upgrade to a more performance oriented vehicle when you're able. A car doesn't have to be lightning fast to be fun - a couple of tweaks to the suspension and grippier tyres and you can still have plenty of fun in an Omega on a nice, twisty road.

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2009
I had a tune done for my VE Omega 3.6L Auto Yesterday through Mace Engineering, Very happy with the results!.

Last edited: