Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much power with stock brakes?

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
Hey Guys,

Dropped by to see my Holden dealer today to confirm delivery date for my SSV. We discussed an OTR, exhaust upgrade & tune that would push the power to best case scenario 370kw, all covered under warranty.

My question is, how much power would you guys have without upgrading the stock VE brakes? Would it be worth looking at some of the front brembo pairs from the redline pulloffs?

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I've found with all the Commodores I've owned that they are always under braked. Personally I think upgrading to the Brembos would be a good idea. Don't bother with slotted or drilled stock sized brakes as they will offer little improvement.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I don't know about anyone else but I thought the stock brakes were rather ordinary, the best thing I did was change to decent pads and rotors.

I had the RDA rotors on a VY before my first VE and couldn't wait long enough to change them, I went RDA on the VE as well.

Can't really comment on the Brembo brakes though.

MathoSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Even if you mean 370kw at the fly, there is no way an OTR, full exhaust (inc headers and cats) and a tune would make that much power. You would be looking at on average around 260rwkw with an M6 so about 320kw at the fly, which will be fine with stock brakes for everyday purposes. If you are planning on doing track days etc then I would seriously consider a brake upgrade.
Its good that your dealer will cover everything though :)

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
^^ correct, you will be seeing 260ish kw at the wheels (330ish kw at the engine) with otr, exhaust & tune
the series 2 will actually make slightly less power when tuned than the series 1 due to the afm cam/lifter setup (yes, even in the manuals unfortunately)

anyway, on the street the stock brakes will do even given a lot of power, but if youre talking track they wont last 3 laps!
the best bang for buck would be getting the front redline brembos as they are quite cheap in terms of brakes ($1500) versus several thousand for full setups!

YES18U

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Even if you mean 370kw at the fly, there is no way an OTR, full exhaust (inc headers and cats) and a tune would make that much power. You would be looking at on average around 260rwkw with an M6 so about 320kw at the fly, which will be fine with stock brakes for everyday purposes. If you are planning on doing track days etc then I would seriously consider a brake upgrade.
Its good that your dealer will cover everything though :)

Yes it can make that power i have the dyno papers to prove it! stock brakes pulled up fine i had to get the harrop ultimate on after supercharging to 470kw atw
so u shoudnt have to much probs with the power your aiming at.

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
best case scenario maybe but the figure would be a bit lower than that id say, if ur not gonna thrash it around all the time, the brakes should be fine...

sickooli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2
Book me in so they can take away the cam that I got because, I got all that and a 25% under pulley and I got 294rwkw, There is no way you will get what they told you.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
street use/ on budget = upgraded dba rotors and better pads.

track use/bigger budget = bigger upgraded rotors (dba, brembo, ap racing etc), bigger calipers, better pads, and DOT5 fluid.

also depends on how much you want to spend.
but if you arent planning on boiling the fluid on track days or otherwise getting some serious brake fade, then I'd start with better aftermarket pads and see how you go.
surface area makes the biggest difference, so bigger will always be better, but otherwise higher quality pads will be your next best improvement. better fluid will just help you get around longer on the track before you start losing braking... and will otherwise not be noticeable on the street.

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Book me in so they can take away the cam that I got because, I got all that and a 25% under pulley and I got 294rwkw, There is no way you will get what they told you.

its 370 flywheel kw, not rear wheel relax haha car companies always use flywheel figures