Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger or Turbo

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
just wondering if anyone on here has supercharged or turbo their VE V8

thinking about doing it to mine, just would like some info on power gain and mods done with the charger or turbo?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
if your looking to supercharge, go with a positive displacement type super charger theyre more expensive then a centrifugal type but for most driving conditions much more effective. do a search, theres lots of good info been posted recently. i remember blown v6 hatch, soop and ARI666(i think) posted some pretty good stuff. also theres a couple of turbo VEs on here, one bloke i think his user name is blown ss or blown vess or something has a turbo SS making huge power.

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
yeah blown ss has spent over 100k on his engine, im just have ppl that have done it with standard engine with just not over the top mods

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
From what my tuner has told me with what he has done and seen is that the L98 is reliable (street driving with occasional track/strip) at 550rwhp, but would need a clutch and supporting mods for the sc or turbos etc.
I have been told $15k to 20 for this power by a workshop or around $10k to 12 do at home for a sc, haven't priced twin turbo.

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
Definitely thinking about supercharging at some stage. I've driven both supercharged & turbocharged cars & a car with a single turbo does not appeal to me in the slightest (as somebody who currently has a WRX). 95% of my driving involves no boost whatsoever.

4wheelinls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ralliart
Having fitted and tuned all three I'd say the whipple supercharger is the best for instant power, peak numbers tend to be a bit lower due to IATs' but it's a wider powerband and more driveable. The twin turbo setup is mindblowing but complex under the bonnet and tend to be the most expensive, the potential for massive power with a built engine. The centrifical blower kits are the cheaper option and make good numbers from 3000 rpm up due to the linear boost delivery but are not as nice fit in the VE engine bay, the air intake is poor. Your buget needs to include a fuel system and injectors as well as a clutch, there are a couple of in tank twin pump options available.

cheers

Joel