Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Advice need on the L77

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hi everyone,

This question is targeted primarly at those who have done work on the new L77 engine being installed in the Series 2 V8 commodores. But happy for others to comment.

First of all, I have a 2007 SSV Auto rock stock. It came from the factory with an L98.

n the last 2 years I have had 3 engines (L98's) replaced under warranty because of excessive cold start engine knock (possibly valve train related).

In November 2010 the new engine (No.3) was installed and lasted 8,000klm before it too started knockin its head off. Holden have inspected the car last month and have been advised by Holden TAC to replace the motor with the latest model (L77).

Today I received a phone call from Holden that an L77 will be supplied and fitted to my car. But before they can install the engine they need to change the camshaft in the L77 with the L98 camshaft from my current motor.

It was explained that the Holden engineers said that it has to be changed because its an AFM camshaft and needs to be changed to a non-AFM camshaft. They also need to change some seals under the valley plate or something.

This just doesn't seem right to me as the L77 service both AFM and non-AFM variants of the series 2 commodore.

Its also my understanding the the L77 STILL uses a mix of AFM and non-AFM lifters. If this is the case wouldn't an L98 camshaft lobes cause issues where the AFM lifters are located (which have a different size pushrod to the non-AFM lifter?)

1. Could anyone confirm that the L77 still uses 2 different lifters (AFM and Non) and that installing an L98 camshaft in the L77 is likely to cause major issue with excessive lift etc?

2. Why would they have said to install an L98 camshaft because the camshaft in it is an AFM one? As my ECM does not have AFM activated in the software it shouldn't matter what camshaft is in it?

3. Can this motor (L77 factory spec) be installed without the need to change anything?

Holden has said they will install the motor as is however I would be made to sign an indemnity form which states that if there motor fails its on me.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers
Phil

P.S. If people do not want to post advice on the forum please send a PM.

Last edited:

jace75

Reaction score
Members Ride
JULY 08 VE SSV 60th Anniv.
probably because your car is older than the AFM model and they dont want you to have it without paying for the new technology.
from what i understand the rest is the same ....

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
thats interesting because the L77 uses AFM collapsible lifters and has a slightly different cam than the L98 whethers its AFM or nonAFM

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
I've heard the L77 has a slightly milder cam, so would your new engine need the L98 cam for the engine management side of things?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
probably because your car is older than the AFM model and they dont want you to have it without paying for the new technology.
from what i understand the rest is the same ....

I'm not asking for AFM its the only engine that is now available. I don't even care if I loose 10kw by puting the engine in for whatever reason... I just want a motor that doesn't knock...

I aksed if it was because of my ECM software and the response was that the ECM was not an issue with the L77. I just can't understand their logic on this.

If I had a 2011 SS Auto and went to a tuner and said turn off the AFM mode in the ECM tune what happens to the engine? Does it detonate because it goes oh look I should be in AFM but I'm not being told to so I will just **** myself!.. Hardly I think..

Anyway back on topic... If the L77 uses both AFM and Non lifters (8x8) then they can't use an L98 spec camshaft because of the amount of lift that is generated on the non-AFM lifter and differing length pushrods.... But I need someone whos done this work and can verify.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I don't understand why they can't just throw the whole L77 motor in.

Sounds suspicious to me. I hope the clown doing the surgery is familiar with all these apparent AFM - NONAFM differences and puts everything in its right place. Maybe you should be on-hand Phil...
You can also do a socket count before the manifold goes back on...

I wonder if this donk is going to smell. My L77 did!