Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger for LLT (SIDI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Don't CAPA make a kit for them?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
*awaits the obligatory 'get a V8' comments*

I really don't get you moderators.....you'll close threads because of the V6/V8 forum users going head to head and now you want the comments???????????

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

Pricing is about $7000 + $500 for the meth kit. And that includes everything I was just reading. Powerwise between 400rwhp-450rwhp (300rwkw +) and not sure if that was with the other mods listed in the first post or stand alone. Some good numbers for a supercharged V6 though! Wouldn't fit the SV6 here though without some serious modding.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
[old man rant]

I have an SIDI, and I can appreciate people wanting to bolt on some force feeding... but for the cost, the headaches, and reliability issues you'll face later on, it's just not worth it folks.
In my younger days, I went completely nuts on a previous car. At first it was just going to be a small turbo conversion.... low boost, stock internals, nice and 'easy'.
Then you do just a tad more... why not, because you've already spent thousands.... what's a few more right?
Then reliability of the rest of the drivetrain starts to become an issue. Clutch, drive shafts, new dogbox sans syncros- straight cut gears will be stronger, no more daily driving though.
Now the ignition system is the weakest link.... lets change that. That will help with the more aggresive tuning and since the engine internals are being changed, adds a little insurance to the block with misfiring and the like.
Then when you finish upgrading them, you're thinking.... "well now the drivetrain is up to speed- lets go for more power!"
Then the brake and suspension upgrade you did round 1 with the turbo install isnt cutting it, so in go some bigger stoppers and coilovers.
Ah ****... but now the rims dont fit. No worries, Compomotive make some rims that'll fit.... and plus they'll be much lighter. Sweet.
Since we are saving weight, lets rip out everything inside (backseats, lining, audio gear etc) and change 2 front seats to lightweight race versions.
And before you know it, you've spent way more on the car that you ever thought you would- and need to spend more buying another car as a daily driver (because unless you can see your modified weapon 24/7 you arent parking it at some railway station or shopping center). So now you are maintaining 2 cars.... a POS you hate driving, and a weapon that you love driving but cant. As an extra kick in the nuts, the money you spent could have bought a brand new car that with a few simple mods could be just as quick but worth 5 times as much and still be more comfortable to drive every day.

Then you got insurance and engineering hassles.

Believe me folks.... dont do it.
Dont start.
Because more serious car modding is like cocaine.... once you start its a very slippery slope down. Doing little mods like exhausts and stuff is fine.
But strapping on turbos and superchargers.... oh man, you get that extra kick and you ALWAYS want just a little bit more.

Economy = SIDI.
Power = V8.

You want power (and then potential for force feeding on top), start with a base car more suitable.
The money, time, headache, and yes even a little guilt you save by just swapping cars will be HUGE in the long run.

I'm not a V8 owner. Never have been. But I've flogged the crap out of a car mod wise that had no business doing what it could do... and whilst the experience was heavenly, what I could have done with that money instead would have been even better.

Dont do it.
You want more power from a 6, sell it and get an 8.
It'll be cheaper, it'll be worth more, easier to insure, more reliable, and as a side benefit wont stick out like dogs balls at a carpark.

Yeah yeah... I know the arguements, "but I want to be different!". "I want a 6 that'll beat an 8!"
Sure.... but are those bragging rights really worth it?
Who you trying to impress?

[/end old man rant]

Last edited:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
How the hell is putting a supercharger on a daily the same as turning it into a pure bred drag car?? You mention two different brake upgrades, two different lowering upgrades, two different turbo setups, rebuild the engine, trans, clutch, two different sets of rims, ripping everything out of the car etc. You make it sound like the hypothetical person isn't going to do the exact same thing to a V8, and probably end up spending more (BIGGER AFTERMARKET)

If anything a supercharged SV6 would be the better daily driver choice. No suprises this had already turned into another V8 vs V6 thread. STFU!!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Oh Kuz bit more mellow dude you'll blow a foofa-valve :). I'm sure UFO was just trying highlight what issues one might face when you go down a FI road (to the extreme). I'm still pretty keen on the S/C option for mine as I think it will be a cracker and the existing hardware will probably cope with moderate boost although the current SV6 brakes are not good enough and I also have some concerns about the auto trans. Nice to see there are two companies having a crack in the US. I wrote to CAPA the other day to see if they were still going to put a kit together for the SIDI (they said it was on the cards 6mths ago) but am yet to hear back. 300RWKW would be nice though.

:driving:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.