Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a Mafless tune,OTR and headers Need Help :)

vvenom32

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black SSV
Hey all

Im in the middle of finding a place to get my Car Mafless tuned so far i have spoken to Steve at OZ Track and the guys at Castle hill performance both seem like they are good.

Oz track are cheaper with the work i need doing than Castle hill but what are peoples thoughts on the work done by either also is there anyone else i should try or that can offer better prices.

My car VE SSV Auto 2007

The work i want done:

Mafless tune
OTR install
A6 Tune
Headers and cats fitted to my Cat Back system

Also before the tune im thinking of getting :
New Perfomance leads
Spark plugs
and MSD coils

What brand/Type plugs and leads should i get and is it even worth doing these things before the tune or at all.

Thanks and yes its my first V8 so im very new to this all i came from turbo cars

I would love to do more but funds are tight

steve01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS COMMODORE
Do you realise a mafless tune is illegal, if you get stopped by the police or the RTA they will defect your car, unless you are going to do major engine work get a maf tune done

vvenom32

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black SSV
I was aware of this and its not an issue at all i have driven a very modded gtr for the last six years.

Plus i cant fit the Duspeed otr with out a mafless tune i thought.

But thanks for your thoughts

steve01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS COMMODORE
yes you can fit the duspeed without a mafless tune they should come with an adapator

vvenom32

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black SSV
Really steve i was not at all aware of this .

Thanks for the info on that still would prefer the mafless as later in the year i will be putting a cam package in

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You'd be a bit stiff to get knocked off really. I've had mafless cars for years now and have never had an issue. Nice choice on the duspeed, the only way to go in otrs in my opinion.
Plenty of tuners out there as well. I've used Oztrack, GM motorsport and aps proformance to tune my cars and i'm rapt with aps. Remember, cheaper tunes aren't really the way to go. I found out the hard way and ended up re tuning at a cost of $1000. Not that i'm complaining, cos the car is now awesome!

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Try Sonny at Autowerks Automotive in Beverly Hills. He's great, treats your car like his own and he's a perfectionist. I had an OTR and Tune done on my VE SV6. I'm very happy with the results and service. Plus he dose a lot of work on Holden V8s. I would recommend speaking to him before you decide where to go.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Do you realise a mafless tune is illegal, if you get stopped by the police or the RTA they will defect your car, unless you are going to do major engine work get a maf tune done

I would like to see the days a police officer or an RTA officer for that matter could tell the difference between a MAF and MAFless OTR when fitted. Not to mention, with the mods his getting, i'd be even more surprised if a police officer could tell the difference between one that has and hasn't been tuned.

@original poster
your going down the right path, your next upgrade would be cam + bigger throttle body but you're looking at a fair amount of $$ for that work. from reading what people have said, both CHE and OzTrack have really good results from their tunes so I think you would be safe with either of them the biggest advantage of getting your car tuned is fixing your auto shifts and taking out some of the torque limitations from factory... makes these cars drive like they should.

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I would like to see the days a police officer or an RTA officer for that matter could tell the difference between a MAF and MAFless OTR when fitted. Not to mention, with the mods his getting, i'd be even more surprised if a police officer could tell the difference between one that has and hasn't been tuned.

Depends on the cop that pulls you up my friend ;) I could tell if the car doesn't have the sensor in. You can try and hide it, but if your caught trying to hide illegal mods then you will face the consequences. Just be safe and get a good tune with the sensor in.

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
vvenom32, I was talking to my Performance shop today here in Melbourne, He told me that a "MAF" Tune is better only because of different air temps and density's, With a "MAFLESS" tune the engine will run to rich or lean when it shouldn't, He basically said it will be a DUMB engine because its not using the sensor....Next Friday week im getting 1.5/8 headers and high flow cats, then 2.5 inch system all the way to back with straight trough mufflers...Then that afternoon im getting a MAF tune done on engine and trans...they tell me I will have 250 to 260 RWKW....Around 450hp...:thumbsup:

If you go Mafless thats your call and i hope you get the gains your after...

Cheers

Steve