Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super Chargers Q's

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
I'm looking into superchargers right now and i've been told by a couple places in that a Magnuson 2300 on a L77 is fine but a Harrop 2300 is not.

I dont understand as to why this is the case. Anyone know why this would be?

Also Edelbrock, not many people running them, is there a reason for that? I think Walki use them, but again not sure.

Are these types of questions best for the LS1 forum?

Cheers

Dave

PSI_KING

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS E
Did they give you a reason why? Or is it just a case of a higher margin for the installer by choosing the Magnuson over the Harrop?

FYI, The majority of PD chargers for the VE are Eaton core units. Magnuson/Harrop/Edelbrock all use an Eaton supercharger but different design for the remainder of the kit. The most noticble differences will be inlet manifold design and w2a intercooler design.

The reason why you will see a lot of Magnuson\'s is because of price. Harrop is next and Edelbrock is exclusively used by Walkinshaw and has the highest pricing. If you are considering a Magnuson, CAPA are the sole distributors in Australia now, if you are considering a Harrop then it is worthwhile speaking to Mario who owns Autotechnique. They are currently in development with Harrop with the new generation Eaton design so he will give you the latest.

Depending on what you are wanting out of the car will also determine what setup suits best. Just take into consideration that your car will no longer comply to ADR\'s, will be void of Holden factory warranty and will not comply with EPA standards unless you submit the vehicle for a VSB14 at an authorised tester. Insurance will also have to be notified and a re-evaulation of your vehicle will be needed to deem if the risk of cover is beneficial.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Did they give you a reason why? Or is it just a case of a higher margin for the installer by choosing the Magnuson over the Harrop?

FYI, The majority of PD chargers for the VE are Eaton core units. Magnuson/Harrop/Edelbrock all use an Eaton supercharger but different design for the remainder of the kit. The most noticble differences will be inlet manifold design and w2a intercooler design.

The reason why you will see a lot of Magnuson\'s is because of price. Harrop is next and Edelbrock is exclusively used by Walkinshaw and has the highest pricing. If you are considering a Magnuson, CAPA are the sole distributors in Australia now, if you are considering a Harrop then it is worthwhile speaking to Mario who owns Autotechnique. They are currently in development with Harrop with the new generation Eaton design so he will give you the latest.

Depending on what you are wanting out of the car will also determine what setup suits best. Just take into consideration that your car will no longer comply to ADR\'s, will be void of Holden factory warranty and will not comply with EPA standards unless you submit the vehicle for a VSB14 at an authorised tester. Insurance will also have to be notified and a re-evaulation of your vehicle will be needed to deem if the risk of cover is beneficial.

Cheers for the info :)

HillsBoy44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I'm also keen on a Harrop PD blower and have been talking to a few workshops about it. I think my VE needs the instant response down low in the revs.

While all of them said they will fit any supercharger I like, some have given me their honest opinions and spoken of their dislike of the topmount PD blowers for VE's. They told me that, even with an OTR and intercooler, the intake temperatures get rather high (90 degrees) and lead to a reduction in performance. Something about every 3 degrees above a certain temp = a loss of 1HP. Also that the replacing of the L98 plastic manifold with a metal blower causes faster heat soak and more heat problems.

Their summary is, although the PD blowers work, the 'bang for your buck' is not as big as you may expect. A dyno run from a cold engine may be great, but once the engine is hot, they don't perform optimally. These Harrop superchargers ain't cheap and I want to know what I'd be in for, before dropping that much cash on one.

Is this true? Anyone with a educated opinion on this?

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you considered procharger or vortec?

HillsBoy44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have considered them. The vortechs may be good chargers, but for full boost to kick in at 3500rpm, that doesn't suit my needs. For a daily driver, most of my driving is done under that rev range.

For both prochargers and vorthechs and other centrifugal chargers, I dislike the sound they make. Stealth is an important factor for me and the Harrop TVS series are nice and quiet.

HillsBoy44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have considered them. The vortechs may be good chargers, but for full boost to kick in at 3500rpm, that doesn't suit my needs. For a daily driver, most of my driving is done under that rev range.

For both prochargers and vorthechs and other centrifugal chargers, I dislike the sound they make. Stealth is an important factor for me and the Harrop TVS series are nice and quiet.

I'm interested in a PD blower, see above.

Anyone know about the heat soak issue?