Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger vs Twin Turbo

DeadxPatriot

What now?
Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GT
Gents,

Tried searching the forums for this one. Couldnt find anything so here we go.

Im kinda at a crossroads with this one. Tossing up whether I should get a twin turbo set up or a supercharger slapped on. Normally I'd go with supercharger, car being a v8, but Im not too sure. Looked around at different sites and all, still undecided.

So, what would you do? What would you advise I should do?

Anyone with any info relating to either supercharger specs etc and/or twin turbo specs etc feel free to leave some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Start looking at video's of twin turbo setups & charger setups, Get rides in as many variants of the two as you can (people love to show their rides off), ask questions to owners of these variants. Research on the net for costings, driveability, fuel usage.

Its all out there you just have to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH, and make the decision as to what YOU want.

DeadxPatriot

What now?
Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GT
Start looking at video's of twin turbo setups & charger setups, Get rides in as many variants of the two as you can (people love to show their rides off), ask questions to owners of these variants. Research on the net for costings, driveability, fuel usage.

Its all out there you just have to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH, and make the decision as to what YOU want.

Cheers mate, I know. Currently looking at hpf and kpm websites.. Looking at around spending $10k-$15. Just trying to find anyone here thats actually had a twin set up put on and/or a supercharger and see/hear from their experiences etc.

Cheers for the input.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I'd go with twin turbo's. They're more fuel efficient than superchargers because they use exhaust gases to build boost while superchargers use the engine to drive it to build boost. Turbo's do lag if they're big one (I personally like lag) and on the other hand superchargers are pretty much instant boost. There are a few pros and cons for the 2 but you gotta sacrifice something if you're chasing power.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Yeah a few points about the two.

Small twins - minimal lag, not as much legs across the rev range.

Medium single - Increased Lag, better life over rev range smiliar power to twins.

Big single - Laggy, Constant psi your whole rev range with HEAAAPPPSSSS of power.

very broad and basic but gives you a rough idea turbo size wise.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Love this video, thinks it's a big single turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Yeah a few points about the two.

Small twins - minimal lag, not as much legs across the rev range.

Medium single - Increased Lag, better life over rev range smiliar power to twins.

Big single - Laggy, Constant psi your whole rev range with HEAAAPPPSSSS of power.

very broad and basic but gives you a rough idea turbo size wise.

Not true any more since the advent of ball bearing turbos

DeadxPatriot

What now?
Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GT
Last edited by a moderator:

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Not true any more since the advent of ball bearing turbos

This is correct. Like i said, basic outline.

You know i thought that right before i posted hahaha at least someone picked it up.