Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 SSV clutch problem

deano2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi everyone ive had my car for about a week now and im not sure if the clutch is going or not i didnt pick up that it had these problems when i took it for a test drive :bomb:
sometimes in first and reverse as im letting the clutch out it shudders untill the clutch is fully out also in 3rd and up if i accelerate anymore then half way it shudders even more but as the revs get higher it goes away
i know a little bit about cars but not a massive amount so any help or suggestions would be appreciated..i have had the 3rd gear and up shuddering problem before on my old car 2001 vu ss ute and it turned out to be the spark leads
just not sure with this mainly because of the shuddering when taking of or reversing sometimes and finding it hard to go into first sometimes i actually have to let the clutch out then push it back in...ive done a fair bit of research but cant really find an answer..clutch,gearbox,diff who knows ! :hmmm:
thanks

a.critta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series II
Hey mate,
Ive got an VE Series II SV6 6spd manual and your issue in 1st and reverse happens to me as well, unless you take the clutch out slowly then it doesnt shudder. Also you problem in 3rd happens to me too!! happens in 3rd and 4th just above 1500rpm to just under 2000rpm if i accelerate anymore than half way I get a shudder sound.. cant figure out what it is??
With it happening in 2 cars with different engines and trans I dont know how that could help find out out the issue?
Ive still got GM warranty so planning to take it in but im guessing they will just say there is nothing wrong with it..

deano2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hmm yea that is very strange.. and yep no doubt holden will say its nothing or they will find a problem and apprentices will fix it haha..let me know what they say about it mate..hopefully its nothing major for me with no warranty!
the guy a bought the car of had it from new and said he hadnt changed anything yet so no doubt the clutch is worn

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
Hey mate,
Ive got an VE Series II SV6 6spd manual and your issue in 1st and reverse happens to me as well, unless you take the clutch out slowly then it doesnt shudder. Also you problem in 3rd happens to me too!! happens in 3rd and 4th just above 1500rpm to just under 2000rpm if i accelerate anymore than half way I get a shudder sound.. cant figure out what it is??
With it happening in 2 cars with different engines and trans I dont know how that could help find out out the issue?
Ive still got GM warranty so planning to take it in but im guessing they will just say there is nothing wrong with it..

im not a car expert but my girlfriends old car had that issue, although it wasnt a commdore it turned out that it needed new spark plugs and leads. if thats any help

a.critta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series II
Hmm yea that is very strange.. and yep no doubt holden will say its nothing or they will find a problem and apprentices will fix it haha..let me know what they say about it mate..hopefully its nothing major for me with no warranty!
the guy a bought the car of had it from new and said he hadnt changed anything yet so no doubt the clutch is worn

Ill let you know how I go mate.
Ive heard about others with the same problem when taking out the clutch in reverse or 1st and it shudders but no solution..
My main issue is the accelerating in 3rd or 4th with that noise, just sounds so stupid!
But as WELSHH said below and youve had experience in our old VU new spark leads might be the solution!
Hopefully we can both get it all sorted but ill keep you posted!

im not a car expert but my girlfriends old car had that issue, although it wasnt a commdore it turned out that it needed new spark plugs and leads. if thats any help

Thanks mate, i might have to see if thats a fix!

Grumpy6L

Speed Addict
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV / Holden Colorado
Hi everyone ive had my car for about a week now and im not sure if the clutch is going or not i didnt pick up that it had these problems when i took it for a test drive :bomb:
sometimes in first and reverse as im letting the clutch out it shudders untill the clutch is fully out also in 3rd and up if i accelerate anymore then half way it shudders even more but as the revs get higher it goes away
i know a little bit about cars but not a massive amount so any help or suggestions would be appreciated..i have had the 3rd gear and up shuddering problem before on my old car 2001 vu ss ute and it turned out to be the spark leads
just not sure with this mainly because of the shuddering when taking of or reversing sometimes and finding it hard to go into first sometimes i actually have to let the clutch out then push it back in...ive done a fair bit of research but cant really find an answer..clutch,gearbox,diff who knows ! :hmmm:
thanks

Hey man,

I would say clutch for sure, I have had 2 VE SSV's, the first I flogged from the minute it left the dealers - the clutch in that use to shudder at low revs, taking off or changing gears nicely, no need to explain what happened to that VE.

The SSV I have now, bought second hand but looked after exceptionally by previous owner had no clutch shudder at all - the secret is to let the clutch bed in a little before you give it a hard time.

I have recently put a Monster Clutch in the big girl due to the stock one not handling the mods and it is awesome, but once again have to allow for a bed in period, bit like brake pads.

Hope this helps

deano2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey man,

I would say clutch for sure, I have had 2 VE SSV's, the first I flogged from the minute it left the dealers - the clutch in that use to shudder at low revs, taking off or changing gears nicely, no need to explain what happened to that VE.

The SSV I have now, bought second hand but looked after exceptionally by previous owner had no clutch shudder at all - the secret is to let the clutch bed in a little before you give it a hard time.

I have recently put a Monster Clutch in the big girl due to the stock one not handling the mods and it is awesome, but once again have to allow for a bed in period, bit like brake pads.

Hope this helps

oh ok thanks mate its actually stopped now which is random o_O

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Hey mate,

you sure the 'shuddering' isn't the result of engine labour? what kind of speed are you doing when you're in 3rd/4th?

a.critta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series II
you sure the 'shuddering' isn't the result of engine labour? what kind of speed are you doing when you're in 3rd/4th?

No its definitely not a result of engine labour.. if i accelerate from low revs it doesnt make the noise but the noise comes in at around 1500rpm and goes away again at around 2000rpm in 3rd (a little lower in 4th).
Still have to take it into holden, just been pretty busy.
Clutch is not going, havent smelt a burnt clutch in this car at all, last time I smelt a burnt clutch would have been on my L's.
Onces it goes in for warranty and I find out what the problem is I will post it!