Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Clutch/Gearbox

xss001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VE SS
Have had my new VE SS for a week and still getting used to clutch and gear box. Compared to previous VX SS the clutch is very light and damn difficult to get right when launching up hill. It also appears to stick a bit before fully releasing.

The gearbox is also very different given the higher ratio diff and the short throw. The lower gears are extra low which means 2nd tops out a bit quick but thankfully 5 and 6th are still high enough. ie 1500rpm at 100Kph. The 4 to 5th change is not as smooth as the VX but the rest are ok. Overall the gearbox is a lot more notchy but it is new whereas the VX now has 100K on it.

Will give it more time but interested in others opinions.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Things normally settle in after a few thousand K's. Dad's VE Berlina wasn't that good when he bought it brand new this year, now it done 13,000 and its very smooth.

Give it time and things should get better.

ESS364

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Have had my VE SS now for 2 months and 3000Ks. Have got used to the light clutch and gearbox now and its a pleasure to drive or at least was up until last week.

I now have a real set of problems.

1. The Cruise control decided to drop out last week and will now not set or resume.
2. The engine will not start first time clutch is depressed. Needs second try. (for those who haven't driven a manual SS the clutch needs to be depressed to start).
3. Engine check light comes on and stays on.

Called Holden Assist (RACV) and they said take it to a dealer. Nothing they could do.
Took it back to dealer . They indicated it was a clutch sensor problem...re calibrated software and cleared engine check light.
Cruise problem and starting still an issue.

Two days later Engine check light problem returned and Cruise control set intermittent.

It is going in for its 3000K service tomorrow so hopefully all will be sorted otherwise will not be happy.

Apart from that its great car, just too much technology.

Hope no one else has had these problems but if you have I would like to hear about it.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Things normally settle in after a few thousand K's. Dad's VE Berlina wasn't that good when he bought it brand new this year, now it done 13,000 and its very smooth.

Give it time and things should get better.

Errrr dude the Berlina will be an Auto, not a manual.

My VE Clubby is fine. Just have to get used to driving a manual again. 2 days so far and I''m pretty smooth with it. Don't know what you mean about 1st and 2nd being geared low, I hit the limiter in 2nd yesterday and was doing about 110kph... 1st is nice and low, but rev it out in each gear (not even to red line - even 5,000RPM) and you'll find it's not geared wrong at all!

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Errrr dude the Berlina will be an Auto, not a manual.

My VE Clubby is fine. Just have to get used to driving a manual again. 2 days so far and I''m pretty smooth with it. Don't know what you mean about 1st and 2nd being geared low, I hit the limiter in 2nd yesterday and was doing about 110kph... 1st is nice and low, but rev it out in each gear (not even to red line - even 5,000RPM) and you'll find it's not geared wrong at all!

I'm not talking about just manual, I mean everything in general. Mechanical side of things.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Oh... Well, um, OK then... :D

ESS364

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
All sweet now. The problem was the clutch sensor which impacted Cruise control, starting and engine mgmt system.

Let hope it stays that way.

xforcefreak1

301rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon 6.0L
i don't know about u's, but mine is runnin smooth as a mutha###a stock clutch aswell...soon to get an xtreme clutch