Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE interiors look cheap

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had to drive the office SV6 VE today. As an owner of a VY Berlina, I looked at the overall finish of the dash, door trims and seats and I thought that the VE interior, in the lower priced models at least, looked bloody cheap and nasty.

The material used on the door trims and dash top is a sort of finely cross hatched vinyl that doesn't look attractive at all. The dash and console lack the smart appearance of my VY and the glovebox and rear covers of the front seats really gave the appearance of cost cutting.

In my opinion, the interior quality of finish has gone backwards from the VT-VZ design. I understand that the upper range models may look more polished, and that what I was looking at was basically Exec level trim, but my son's VZ Acclaim has a far smarter appearance (to me at least) than the VE.

What do others think?

Regards

pj

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Every Commodore before the VE is a buck of bolts compared to the VE. The fit and finish is a step above everything that's come before it.

Sure, the plain plastic cominated look in the lower end models may not suit everyone, but it's always been that way.

The biggest thing is the fit though... If you had a decent look at the fit of everything, compared with your VY or the VZ you should have been impressed.

I always laugh when I get in my mate's VZ ute: "Dude is your glove box closed?" Hahaha!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My SSV ****s over every previous Commodore as far as the interior is concerned. Seats are very similar to my VYII SS however the rest leaves it for dead.

Reaper

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
is the dash solid plastic or is it a soft vinal like the vt to vz, i cant remember, ill look better next time i service one,

but back to the dash quality, i think commodore interior quality aint to shabby, my old folks bought an 07 rav4, the dash is solid hard plastic as is the door trims, you can see moulding impressions in the power window switches on the door trims,, the wagon bit makes plastic creaks,

the fit and finish on the vz's was pretty good aswell, everytime i look at mine it just looks solid and not as if its gunna break

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My SSV ****s over every previous Commodore as far as the interior is concerned. Seats are very similar to my VYII SS however the rest leaves it for dead.

Reaper

I did say that the upper spec models probably looked better than the cheaper models. And I didn't make any comments about the manner in which the interiors were assembled. My point was that the textures used for the interior plastics lacked the finish of the earlier models and looked cheaper by comparison.

I accept that many earlier models had persistent faults in their assembly and the glovebox is a good example in the VT/VZ. My son's VZ lid fits poorly, but mine is fine. But I stand by what I said and cite two specific examles to compare. Have a good look at the plastic cover on the back of a VE seat, and compare it to the same part on a VZ. The VE one is a thin, dull finished part which genuinely looks as rough as bags and CHEAP. It belongs in a Daewoo. The glovebox is thin and hard. The VZ seat back has a completely different texture and, whilst no example of design excellence, doesn't look as nasty as the VE part. The design of the VT/VZ glovebox lid is thicker, softer in finish and again, has a more refined texture. Yeah, half of them don't align properly with the dash, while the VE does, but again, the earlier model LOOKS more quality, even if it isnt.

Don't get me wrong - I have loved Holdens since my first one, an FB in 1970. It's just that I can't understand how they got these things to look so"cheap" in the VE.

Regards

pj

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Personally i hate the statesmans interior, looks boring, ugly and cheap IMO.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Have a good look at the plastic cover on the back of a VE seat, and compare it to the same part on a VZ

Yeah the sueded leather finish on the back of my front seats is "cheap" and "tacky"...

Pfffffft...

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
i think the VE looks nice inside

but the handbrake when its on looks soooooooo crap. and its a pain when putting it down

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
i think the VE looks nice inside

but the handbrake when its on looks soooooooo crap. and its a pain when putting it down

Adjusted my handbrake so it needs 3 clicks max! And it's only annoying until you get used to it.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
thats true, im sure some people have filed away the end