Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 heads vs LS2 heads..

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
can anyone tell me the difference between the heads on the gen 4 alloy V8 (L98) that the VE SS and SS-V's have in them compared to what I have on my LS2 in my VE R8?
I have been told that if i do any work to my engine ie. full exhaust, extractors, tune etc and done the exact same to an SS-V for example the SS-V would end up having a better improvement in performace...
so I would like to know a bit more about the newer heads.. :)

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
l98 is an ls1 unit and uses 5 head bolt's per cylender,
an ls2 uses 4 head bolt's per cylender.

my 1000 post yay

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
yes the L98 heads are better
they are actually L92 heads
but there isnt a great deal between them
dont think they are stronger just a better design

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
i cant see that one head is better than another, a good porter will get the best anyway.
the 5 stud arrangment limit's the cube's to 432 cid after stroking.
the ls2 will go to 510 cid after stroking. the ls2 block's have wider bore spacing, and help'd by the 4 bolt arrangment.

GM LS engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
i cant see that one head is better than another, a good porter will get the best anyway.
the 5 stud arrangment limit's the cube's to 432 cid after stroking.
the ls2 will go to 510 cid after stroking. the ls2 block's have wider bore spacing, and help'd by the 4 bolt arrangment.

GM LS engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the L98 heads are better flowing then the LS2 ,this info comes from some of the best Lxx tuner/machanics around
if a porter can get the best out of any head why does the majority go with aftermaket heads like dart 205/225
it all comes down to port design if it isnt a good flowing design a porter can only do so much

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
LS2's are round port, L98's are square port.... better design based on newer technology that increases airflow.

Key reason - GM had to improve emissions of their engines for compliance... but didn't want to reduce performance (SAME POWER - LESS FUEL). Heads and engine management are the most effective and efficient ways of doing so.

LS2 is still considered a "high performance" engine... but is more old school... strong build, without so much regard for fuel efficiency. LS2 will be discontinued this year, and replaced by LS3. More power... less fuel. Interestingly... the version to be used in the new HSV's will only produce 10kw more than the LS2 ... even though it is .2 litre bigger and newer technology. Obviously GM are happy to sacrafice performance for emissions.. and it doesn't hurt to keep a bit up your sleeve for future models!

Google L98 heads vs LS2 heads - few articles can be found

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Problem is the stock headers Holden put on the L98 are sh*t! Full exhaust, CAI and tune on both the L98 and LS2 and the L98 will have a greater increase in performance but the LS2 will still be more powerful.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
L98 heads are better than the LS2 heads.
better flowing, better design, etc

the L98 are factory cathederal ported heads

the L98 heads are L92 heads used in the L98, LS3 and LS7 engines
the new HSV with the LS3 have the "L98" heads on them

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
just on the power figures of the LS3 hsv have aparently capped power and torque in order to save drivetrain components. i read it somewhere cant remember. all this says to me is that on future models hsv will probably be using the hardware from the W427 so that they can push power and torque up even more. for me though 317 kw just sounds stupid why not make it 320 just to stick it up fpv's crack hole