Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss ute - l98 manual (no afm) - fuel economy

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
edit remove post thank

Last edited:

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
You have basically talked yourself into an 8 anyway... lol

Just get one, they are just as economical on the highway from which you say you spend most of your time it's a no brainer....

plus if you are towing i would rather have a V8 ( ask Reaper he tows stuff everywhere with his SS )

And on fuel consumption you can get anywhere from 200'ks to a tank ( thrashing it ) up to 700-800 (behaving yourself on the freeway )

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
They're interesting figures... don't know how you came up with those mate.

I've got the SS V Ute / Manual

Thrashing the ute occasionally I'll get about 400km a tank - thrashing it all the time... around 350km bottom line. Basically it'll average around the 17L per 100km when you want to give the car stick all the time.

Commuting and highway driving is great, more economical than my parents VT V6 sedan. Stop start traffic will bleed you around 14L per 100km on average if your mildly accelerating and the occasional thrash to get around Grandpa behind the wheel.

The best scores I've had so far is 596km (630km without load - explain later) on one tank and that was at an average of 11L per 100km but that was purely highway driving (helps if you're travelling from Melbourne to Darwin which I did recently lol) and that's from absolute full to absolute dry. I conked out just as I was overtaking a 4 carriage 50m long road train... yup I reckon that was smart when I had to pull over just up ahead in front of him and get the 20L jerries out. Oh yeah and the top range figure was also carrying a 200kg load in the tray + trailer with a 200kg motorcycle on it.

As an owner, expect an average run of 550km range off a full tank ($75 - $95 depending on fluctuating petrol prices) and an average bleed of 13L per 100km if you mix it between stop-start traffic and highway driving.

All in all even with the AFM tech coming up, the V8 engine put in the SS models do really well on the petrol compared to the V8's of old and even V6's. I'm more than happy with it.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
when hoon driving ... bad as 18-19L\100km

when driving all good ( not more than 120km ) ... 10-~13L\100km

mine is an SS, so your ute should get better fuel eco. cuz of the missing wight :)

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
They're interesting figures... don't know how you came up with those mate.
quite easy.....;)

There is thrashing then there is THRASHING :)... i did a track day last weekend and my fuel consuption was 42.5L per 100.. that was full throttle where ever possible and lots of heavy braking.

I was being kind by saying 200k's to a tank....

My old VZ SS said 720k to empty on a trip to Melbourne last year so i assumed the current SS would be close to the mark by quoting 700-800

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
lol... that used to be my sig before i was told it was too rude...

What do you get dist to empty on a long trip ?

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
It fluctuates. The highest was 630km without any load in the tray or trailer. That was going back to Melbourne from Sydney. Most times I'll hit approx 550km because I've given it a few good kicks but the 630km was basically rolling out of the highway pump near Sydney in neutral and then going to 2nd then to 5th then 6th and staying on 6th the whole way until she lost power near Wangaratta (just passed Chiltern). Never once went over 2000rpm.

Was a good test though I don't think I'll do it again. My back teeth were floating!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
i know tyers play apart in fuel consumption, but does the brand also? reason i saw a ute delivered the other day still with all pastic protection on it but it didnt have bridgestones on it, had michellen. have Holden changed supplier

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Not that I've heard. Been seeing Bridgestone Potenzas on the cars up here in Darwin.