Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column warning? Car won't start

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Weirdest thing today. I got in my car pressed the start button the green light came on and oil pressure ignition light then I got a warning in the dash saying service steering column. When I pressed start button nothing happened car froze for my 5 minutes radio was on and all ignition. After unlocking and locking and waiting green light went off and started as normal. Is this the beginning of somything or a one off? Cheers

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I had exact same issue - it was a loose cable connected to battery - not the battery terminals themselves but a cable attaching to them ...

DjBrenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf CalaisV 3.6 & 2017 SSVR Auto
Have had this warning come up 3 times recent weeks out of the blue. My car starts and the error clears but I might have to have a look under the bonnet too. I remember getting it a few times when brand new in 2103 but I think there was a service fix by memory.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i've heard of this happening on a Cruze as well. it may help to wiggle the steering wheel like in an old car when the steering lock is on...

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Mine is an early build VF series 1 and I had the same error once a couple of months after purchasing the car. Cycled the car by locking and unlocking the car and was good. Never seen it since and nothing was changed on the car. Was told by service that sometimes happens but isnt always repeatable. Their theory is that on certain angles of the car and the wheels the steering column binds when it tries to unlock. Much as it does with a key ignition where you have to wiggle the wheel. They suggested I do the same when/if it happens again. Problem is it has never happened again in three years of ownership. I suspect their theory is as good as any. Dan

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Holden have a tech line on the issue. As mentioned it also happens to Cruze, have also seen it on some Malibu's.
The electric steering is rather sensitive to inputs, in particular when the car is switched off. A lot of people, myself included, use the steering wheel to help get out of the car, putting pressure on the wheel this way can cause a warning the next time you start the car.
If cycling the car doesn't work, wiggle the wheel as if you were trying to get it off the steering lock to turn a key in the ignition barrel.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
These cars also don't like being parked in a full lock & will refuse to start until you straighten the wheels.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Arggggh don't we all love these Electronics bugs today. (that's if it is a Bug)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
These cars also don't like being parked in a full lock & will refuse to start until you straighten the wheels.

That's a very good point and if this is the case we all should remember this as i was told that park assist always concludes with the front wheel correctly lined up with the vehicle

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tested the 2015 My15 SV6 today on full lock both ways and shutting the engine off and it started again both times.