Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A tale of two tuners

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
For some reason I went and had my tune checked by another SA company. Thank god I did. The fuel trims were maxed and a mess of other stuff including detonation that was causing the puter to pull timing and a surge under certain circumstances. I was happy with it. Just goes to show. The first well known tuner usually takes about 25-30 mins on the dyno. Today(another well known tuner) 2 guys spent 3 hours working on the tune and test driving. They changed 100s of cells rather than taking the easy way out and leaving it to the ECU to make up for errors.The auto is so much smoother, the throttle more sensitive. A/F ratio now perfect.Overall a much better experience. Numbers were a bit less but different dynos on different days with 98 fuel which can vary but I am not fussed about the numbers. Flat torque line from 2800 to 6000 rpm.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
There's tuners, and then there's tuners.
Heard of plenty of "horror" stories, with some places just copying tunes from one car to another.
Fuel trims being up the ****, especially on a boosted car, can end very badly.

You said it had a slight surge. But is there a reason you went to shop B, rather than back to shop A?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's tuners, and then there's tuners.
Heard of plenty of "horror" stories, with some places just copying tunes from one car to another.
Fuel trims being up the ****, especially on a boosted car, can end very badly.

You said it had a slight surge. But is there a reason you went to shop B, rather than back to shop A?

Just a gut feeling and recently another mechanic told me it might be worth checking. After the tuner B did the work (not before) they said they had heard reports. Universe in my favour for once.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
So how much fuel are you saving and is it running much nicer and how much extra power Ill bet the tune was out way up the rev range where you never use it we are in the age of Harry Potter alot of people talk **** call someone to work on your house I'll bet they pot the bloke that worked on it last time same goes for a lot of mechanics getting around they feel the need to big time themselves.
How much money did you pay the first bloke is what it gets down to he ran out of time for what you paid.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
So how much fuel are you saving and is it running much nicer and how much extra power Ill bet the tune was out way up the rev range where you never use it we are in the age of Harry Potter alot of people talk **** call someone to work on your house I'll bet they pot the bloke that worked on it last time same goes for a lot of mechanics getting around they feel the need to big time themselves.
How much money did you pay the first bloke is what it gets down to he ran out of time for what you paid.

Have another drink.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i always say all it takes to be a tuner is the funds to buy the program, trims max out at think round 30% so thats just wrong leaving a engine like that for a customer, the smoother the fueling is and the less work the ecu has to do to correct the fueling the better the engine will drive, for 25-30 mins on the dyno it sounds like a quick maf tune and thats it very poor, ive spent ALOT of time tuning mine and testing what most tables affect ect and once u really dive into it u can make a very good tune but most of the shops dont have the time or knowledge apart from the basics

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I am not a Tuner and wouldn't even know where to start doing any changes myself, but I have spent countless hours researching and reading horror stories from other people.
25-30 mins on the dyno sounds like it was a very poor attempt at something or just a copy & paste job of a previous tune.

Good thing you had it checked and rectified.
Never hurts to get a second opinion.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute

Its not a car wash mate, you dont give him 500 bucks and say tune it untill time runs out then ill just have to take it. You pay for a job you should get a 100%, goes without saying

dantheman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Is there any chance you can let me know who your new tuner is. I'm looking to have some headers/and my VCM OTR fitted to my existing catback and i'd rather go to tuner B than tuner A

cheers

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Its not a car wash mate, you dont give him 500 bucks and say tune it untill time runs out then ill just have to take it. You pay for a job you should get a 100%, goes without saying
everything is about money. When the money on the job runs out the interest is no longer there. Do you enjoy working for free ? I've decided your doing some free overtime tonight !