Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I am looking at a VF now, my SV6 is dying... If you had around $30k

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
So my VE2 SV6 that I literally just bought a month ago is having so many issues that I'm literally just done with it.

I'm going to get rid of it and finance a VF.
I had a VF SSV S1 a couple cars ago and loved it, wished I never traded it in!

But I can't decide now if I spend around the 30k mark on a normal SS VF or opt to spend around $35-38k on a SSV.

Are there anything I should be looking out for with these cars? Now that they've been out for a while.
If I had done my research prior to this SV6 purchase I would have found the sludge being a common problem etc and not bought it... But now I'm set back a bit lol.

In short, if you had $30-$35k to spend on a car, which way would you go?

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Just the usual business of being well serviced and on time should do it. You've got more than a few for sale in SEQLD at the moment so happy hunting!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
So my VE2 SV6 that I literally just bought a month ago is having so many issues that I'm literally just done with it.

But I can't decide now if I spend around the 30k mark on a normal SS VF or opt to spend around $35-38k on a SSV.

Are there anything I should be looking out for with these cars? Now that they've been out for a while.
If I had done my research prior to this SV6 purchase I would have found the sludge being a common problem etc and not bought it... But now I'm set back a bit lol.

I'd look at something from the Germans .

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
You traded a VF SS-V on a VE SV6?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS

Myself, I'm no particular fan of leather, so I would go for an SS, if looking up to $38K what about a Clubsport, I guess you could get a decent E3 R8, just a quick look on Carsales it looks like for that money in an E3 would probably have about 80,000Km on it, depends on how low you want the Kms on the car.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
better off with a VF than VE. Cars are chalk and cheese.

Yeah I was just looking at Carsales with something like a $38K budget it looks like you should be able to get say a 2014 VF SSV with something like about 20,000 Km - I like a HSV, but the temptation of something not very old with nice low Kms I don't think I could resist. Although I'm not that keen on leather, an SSV with 20,000Km would be a great choice.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Doesn't that depend on personal taste/preference?
VE & VF bare-bones are the same, after all; a VF does feel more 'premium', but a VE is maybe better built (eg. underbody aero).
Suspension & powertrain differences seem to be more about tweaks & fiddles than massive leaps?

In case this helps ... apparently SSV's have the same seats as a Redline, and early VF Redlines had more bolstery/spoty seats than now. Now the main difference between an SS & SSV is the leather; but an early SSV front seat is probably more supportive/comfy too.