Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY16 Jungle Green SSV Redline

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
My Redline is just under 3 weeks from getting built. I thought I would share some stuff and experience on my car and how I got here. I hope you guys enjoy my posts.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 1.
I first saw the Jungle Green or Jungle Fever as it was called back then on a MY15 Update Series 1 and it reminded me of my Hothouse Green CV8 that I used to own. I knew I just wanted one in that colour as it was different and no other manufacturer was making their cars in a similar colour. Then I began pondering (unknown what VF2 would look like) what kind of options I could do to a Series 1? Black roof? Black outs? Black boot lip spoiler or Big wing spoiler? Perhaps I would put the red grille surround on it to give it a bit of a retro look like the VG Valiant Pacers used to look with their red stripe running across the front grille. I would travel to different dealerships after hours just to see what they had sitting in the showroom and out back in the holding yard. I would even head down to HVO on the weekend just to see what I could see in the holding yard and if there was anything special sitting there that I may like more.

Last edited:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 2.
Then VF2 came out and I was blown away, it looked and sounded awesome and to top it off Motor Magazine ran a special on it and they choose a Jungle Green Redline as the pin up car. At the time I didn’t have any info on what the options/accessories would be but thought they would be the same as Series 1 so started playing with photoshop and added in the things I wanted (kinda glad that my taste did change looking back at it now haha) red highlight around the grille (to tie in with the Redline theme), small black bootlip spoiler. I then went down to a dealer and took an auto Redline for a spin and was instantly blown away by it compared to my Series 1 SSVR. But as I had waited this long and was determined to get one of the last Commodores off the line I resisted and started the waiting game, snapping photos of Jungle Green cars when I saw them at dealerships while I waited for the clock to count down.

Last edited:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 3.
My collection of Jungle Green SSV Redlines I have snapped from dealers around Adelaide to just, you know, double and triple check its the colour I want haha:rofl2:

Last edited:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 4.
Then HSV released the GenF2 range and when I saw this Clubsport R8 in Jungle Fever (that’s what HSV call the paint colour) I was instantly in love with it over the Redline, although the only thing that wasn’t doing it for me was the unpainted black plastics which reminded me of VT Commodore with the unpainted lower skirts and unpainted mirrors. So I went down to the HSV dealer and asked for a price on the LSA Clubsport with all the options I wanted to match what the Redline would have and was shocked at the price. $95k driveaway (that dealer must be into creating a museum rather than selling) I then went to another dealer and got a better price but one that was still $17k over a Redline.

I then organised a test drive of a LSA Clubsport in manual and was very disappointed (took me forever to get used to the clutch) my other sports cars are manual but this clutch was just a bit grabby and took me a while to make smooth (non whiplash) gear changes. In the end I was that disappointed with the HSV LSA, it didn’t sound any better than the Redline nor go any better or harder (was in the metro area driving) even the HSV sales guy said to me, the Redline was better bang for buck. So with all of that and the fact I have always been a Holden guy and not a HSV guy, never dreamt of owning a HSV and that I have only collected Holden paraphernalia not HSV, the thought of owning a HSV was ruled out. Even though it did look good in Jungle Fever.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 5.
Auto or manual? I was torn between the two. The Redline would be a daily car and would I want a manual around town? Driving in peak hour traffic? On and off the clutch? My current Commodore is an auto, love the auto start feature and can creep in traffic when need be without on/off a clutch all the time. I drove the R8 LSA in manual and was disappointed and annoyed with how long it took me to get used to the new clutch, even though all my other sports cars are manual and I have no issue with them.

I was lucky enough to drive a pilot SSV Sportwagon for GMH back from Adelaide to Melbourne and it was an auto. I enjoyed it, enjoyed the flappy paddles, I even pulled the fuse out for the bi-modal exhaust which even improved the exhaust note slightly. It was great to just burry your right foot, the auto would down shift nicely and you would get this power and roar and the SSV would take off like a rocket. I was set on an auto.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 6.
I got wind of what the new features would be for the upcoming Holden Reserve Edition which is for employees only along with what would be included and what would be excluded for the upcoming final model year of Commodore MY17. I learnt that the colour I wanted Jungle Green would be discontinued and replaced with a plastic looking solid green colour called Spitfire. Some Like It Hot along with Prussian Steel would be dropped also and new colours Son of a Gun Grey and Light My Fire would be making an appearance. I also learnt of the changes for MY17 Redline models and that the Chevy SS seats would be making their way into the Redline along with MRC in the special edition Bathurst model (which has now been sidelined) along with a few other bits and pieces.

I was booked in to do a factory tour of HVO in July and I thought wouldn’t it be great to be doing a tour of HVO and also to see your car being built on the line and maybe get a happy snap of it. I made a bee line for a dealer and went and saw a sales guy that was recommended to me through a friend of a friend. We started negotiating on price and he inquired for me if we could get my car online on a certain date for me. Long story short was that it couldn’t be guaranteed that my car would be on the production line on the day of my tour no matter how hard he and his contact at Holden would try, not long after the sales guy left the dealership and I didn’t bother perusing anything as I wouldn’t be guaranteed the date I wanted. I thought I would wait until after my tour of HVO to place my order for a new Redline in case I saw something really cool that took my fancy.

Matell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Sorry I haven't got the video up yet on the 2016 SS easy exit feature (as requested on the SS Forum). It's hard to capture what it does without a helper. I'll ask the wife tonight to help out but the AUS Spec VFII's really aren't missing much. Honestly having 'J*sus Handles in the front head liner would be a bigger help to hauling ones arse in and out without crushing side bolsters.

Onto your Jungle Green order - what did you end up going for with options?
PBM Roof?
PBM Spoiler?
High Wing?
Black grill surrounds?

Out of all the JG SSV Redlines you've seen, approximately what proportion of them have the high wing on the boot?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 7.
I got notice that orders for final MY16 Models had to be placed by mid July to be guaranteed a MY16 otherwise you would end up with a MY17 Model, and after completing the factory tour at HVO and seeing a MY17 SSV Redline in new colour “Son of a Gun Grey” I knew I still wanted Jungle Green, so I had to move quickly.

I had done my research for the past few months on what some SSV Redlines were advertised for on car sales and read the thread on here on what deals people were getting for their VF2’s. My aim was for around $58k driveaway with the options/extras I wanted added to my Redline, I then came across a website called motorbuys which acts a bit like a broker on your behalf to get the best deal for you. I punched in what I wanted, paid my $19 and let the dealers battle it out for my business. I choose dealers in SA and Vic to see who would give me the best price and was amazed how much some dealers charge and how others want to deal and sell a car rather than start a museum. Best price I got was $57,063.09 from SA, I was now armed and knew what I could get the car for.

I rang the sales guy that I had been dealing with for a while and asked if he could orangise me a manual LS3 to test drive for the morning while I did my errands to see if it was any better than the LSA HSV I had a few months back. Automatically the annoying clutch surfaced which took time for me to get used to, but the car sounded more alive and spirited compared to the auto SSV Wagon I drove a few months back and the LSA HSV. I was now having second thoughts about getting an auto, but wasn’t convinced how I would go in peak hour traffic in a manual doing the stop/start on a hill. When I got back to the dealership the sales guy was disappointed he wouldn’t be able to get a sale as I informed him I was now 50/50 on both trans, he also wouldn’t give me a price as I couldn’t make up my mind, so with that I told him I would go think it over (but really I was off to another dealership to see what price I could get from a sales guy I had bought my last 2 cars from and maybe even take an auto for a test drive)

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pt 8.
I arrived at the other dealership and instantly the sales guy I knew didn’t beat around the bush and gave me a price better than what the motorbuys website had gotten for me. (there was a reason I dealt with this guy cos he always cut straight to the chase) I took an auto Redline wagon for a test drive and it just wasn’t the same as the pilot model I had driven to Melbourne a few months back. No matter what I did I just couldn’t get the crackle and pops like I did on the manual version, even pulling the fuse for the bi modal didn’t help its case and with that I decided to go a manual over an auto. After all that researching and having my heart set on an auto I changed my mind at the last minute haha. During the test drive the other sales guy rang and left me a message asking whether I had made my mind and if I would be coming back that afternoon to do a deal (I think he really needed to sell a car). After confirming with the sales guy I knew that was the best price his dealership could do I thought it was only fair to let the other guy give me a quote on a manual, now that I had made up my mind. In the end the sales guy who I had been dealing with for a while gave me the best price that I couldn’t really refuse or do any better, so I signed and ordered the car that Saturday afternoon! The discount I got in the end was close to $11k off RRP. Details as follows

2016 Holden VFG Commodore SS-V REDLINE
Sedan
Manual
Jungle Fever
Black Roof
Wing Spoiler
HF20 Alloys
Black Upper Lower Grille Bezels
Black DRL Bezels
Black Fender Vents
1600kg Towbar
Black Side Decal Stripe
Redline Sill Plates
Sports Carpet Mats
Full Tank of Fuel

Total – under $54k drive away ordered/signed 9/7/16 with expected delivery 2/9/16.

Last edited: