Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to paint vl berlina plastic trim

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
hey guys, im new to the forum & new to holdens altogether. firstly i have a 1986 vl berlina. just with the plastics the rear was already painted (silver) before i bought it. the front was smashed so i purchased a new one through ebay and will be painting that + the side plastics aswell.

my question is with the side should i paint it all so it looks flush or just the plastic bits ?
when i say the whole thing i mean from top to bottom. where the plastic starts to the bottom of the door.

like the pic below... i think it looks pretty good. what type of paint should i use. is there an off the shelf vl bumper paint or will and silver paint do ? ill be doing all the work myself and can get the stuff cheap so just some info on paint would be heeps helpful. thanks

Attachments

• 1986_VL_Commodore.jpg
    1986_VL_Commodore.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 30,391

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Hey bud and welcome to Just Commodores...
there is already a thread on this if you do a search.
i painted mine just with silver paint from the hardware. make sure you prepare the surface properly or it will flake up in a few months.
as for the lower part of the door like the calais look it came with the plastic door moulds for that look.
so u can either source the calais door moulds or like u said paint it with a matching paint suitable for the job

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
thanks heeps. im looking to purchase plastic primer for the plastics then looking to go for a darker grey sort of colour for the kit to give it a "meaner" look.

HOT055

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
hey mate yea if u get the plastic primer and proper plastic paint and sand and use wax and grease remover it will turn out good and will last

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
yer, my dad owns a hardware store + he just finished restoring his car so all the stuff i need i have so all i need to fork out for is plastic primer and the paint = cheap !

i suppose this is a good brand ?? MOTOSPRAY Flexi Primer For Plastics Pressure Pack 400g - eBay Paint, Body Supplies, Tools, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Dec-09 12:24:03 AEDST)

also for the paint im thinking this : Upol PlastX Repair Plastic Bumper Paint MID GREY 400ml - eBay, Paint Body Shop Supplies, Garage Equipment Tools, Vehicle Parts Accessories. (end time 28-Dec-09 07:00:06 AEDST)