Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just how good are Solex locks?

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Can they be opened with a screwdriver or coat hanger? Or should I just stick to the standard locks?

N

nick 8x

the whole mechanism stays the same ,just a different key barrel and key,i just put em on my vl calais and still have central locking. the locks arent foolproof it depends how bad someone wants your car

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
The standard locks can be opened with a screwdriver. Solex locks are much better, but ANY lock on ANY pre-VN Commodore is easy to circumvent. Especially the door locks.

I wouldn't have believed it until I saw how a VB I had was broken into. Not going into the details here, but let's just say it was a method I'd never have thought of. And Solex locks wouldn't have helped at all.

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
When i had my VL an NRMA guy showed me how to break into it and i nearly cried at how damned easy it was!

V

VL_WAGON

Honestly Solex locks are a wast of time stick with standard ones make sure there in good nick other wise they can just be turned with a screw driver. solex locks will have no affect on a car thief. Buy a decent alarm with immobiliser plus central locking on your key ring remote is always a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HANNIBAL

Remove Buttons, Install Cental Locking With External Over-ride And Get A Sheetmetal Guy To Make Up Sheilds To Prevent Coathangers Getting To Mechanism, And Solexs Do Help, But Then They Get Pissed And Smash Stuff, Get Good At Replacing Windows After A While. The Vx Have A Dead Boltr Set Up, So If You Click Lock Twice Even The Key Wont Open It, And Only Drivers Door Unlocks So Our Poor Downtrodden Streetpeople Miss Out On A Free Ride, Helps With Car Jacking. Fit Vl Onwards Door Panel Where The Locks Are Out Of Site And A Bugger To Get To. Or Just Insure It For Agreed, Gio Were Great. Hannibal Sssth

T

thelastjenko

dude the commodore dore are pretty safe they have the theft proof stuff inside the doors safe from amateur thiefs but the pros nothing is safe the solex are good i installed them into my mums car but nothing will stop a piece of spark plug at the window or a BRICK

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
they're good locks but if you lose the little key you might have to smash a window to get in.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
nsladden said:
they're good locks but if you lose the little key you might have to smash a window to get in.
i cant see how that is any different from any other key to anything else....