Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust system

B

brenny_vl

Hey all, Lately i got a sports exhaust installed on my VL, no extractors or nethin. It has a very nice note to it but isn't very loud. I was just wondering if theres anything i can do or anything else i can fit to make the exhaust louder without spendin too much (tryin not to make it unroadworthy)? I dun want it like over the top loud cos i dun wanna be pulled over by cops everytime i turn the corner but i want it too sound awesum and fairly loud. Any ideas, help or suggestions would be gr8 thanx.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
how long have you had it installed for? they get louder with age they can even get twice as loud depending on the type of materials used and how it was put together? has it got 2 mufflers?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I've heard of ricers drilling holes in the mufflers, don't know what this'll do to the sound or if it's even legal but it's damned cheap!

B

brenny_vl

ucwepn said:
how long have you had it installed for? they get louder with age they can even get twice as loud depending on the type of materials used and how it was put together? has it got 2 mufflers?
I got it put in bout a week and a half ago. The mechanic told me it might get louder over the next couple of months as well but i wasnt sure if he was just sayin that to get my hopes up or sumthin. And yes it does have two mufflers.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I can tell you with experience it will definately get louder (maybe too loud), I had a mitsubishi scorpion with a 2 1/4 sports exhaust no extractors and it was pretty quiet when I got it but a couple of months later I got many complaints from the neighbors LOL oh well

dewmiester

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr stateo 3.8
i had just a 2" pipe from cat to lukey sports muffler, then with a 4"stainless tip on my old 86 mazda 323...the muffler wasnt right at the back of the car, bout 500mm or so befor the tip, the mechanic said that it wasnt as loud as he expected, and he blamed it on that...but yes it got louder, not a lot tho. so on my vl im goin with a 3" pipe n straight through muffler or something like that.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hey dewmeister 3" is pretty big and unless your vl is turbo you will lose alot of power... i had a stock exhaust on my vl and it revved out to 5300rpm, the on went the extractors 2.5" and big cannon 4 that ricer touch and its loud as hell and reves out to 6100rpm